Congratulations to Griffins Garden Centre Restaurant in Co Cork, who have won the 2015 award for Ireland’s Best Scone! Goodall’s of Ireland run the annual competition and have been kind enough to share the Award Winning Scones Recipe so that you too can produce award winning scones!
Ingredients for 15 – 18 Award Winning Scones
- 2 lbs of Odlums self-raising flour
- 2 level teaspoons of baking powder
- 8 oz of cold unsalted butter
- 2 handfuls of sultanas.
- 2 free range eggs (do not mix the eggs)
- Fresh milk
- Buttermilk at room temperature
- A teacup of Caster Sugar (150-180g) adjust to taste
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan oven)
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl.
- Ensuring your hands are cold, add the cold butter cubes and mix quickly until all the butter has been combined.
- Add in 2 whole eggs (not whisked) and an even mix of whole milk and butter milk. The amount of milk will vary but Granny Griffin always aims for quite a wet mixture.
- Cool your hands with water again and knead the mixture ensuring not to over work it.
- Roll out the mixture on a cool table to a thickness of an inch in height
- Cut with a cool scone cutter *never twist the scone cutter – try to cut straight down.
- Glaze the top and side of your scone with a beaten egg.
- Put scones into a pre-heated oven as quickly as possible.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Serve with jam and cream or butter.
(Here is a converter table if you are not used to lbs as measurement)
Have you tried making these award winning scones? Let us know in the comments box below.