Are you looking for kids cake recipes to use up chocolate Easter eggs? This Building Site Chocolate Biscuit Cake is seriously easy and appeals to children’s imaginations. If you can’t use the surplus chocolate straight away, remove all the packaging and freeze the chocolate until you can make this cake.
Makes 16 portions
- 500g digestive biscuits (or similar)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100ml golden syrup
- 75g caster sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 packet of jelly tots (or similar)
- 1 bar of chocolate that you can break into blocks
- Take 2 large heavy duty sandwich bags and put one inside the other. Fill the inner bag with the digestive biscuits and channel the anger in your life at the moment batter the bejeepers out of it with a rolling pin or wooden spoon!
- Get a big heavy bottomed saucepan, stick it on top of a weighing scales and measure out the butter, golden syrup, caster sugar and cocoa powder directly into the saucepan. Put the saucepan on a medium-low heat on the hob and stir occasionally.
- Line a springform cake tin really well with cling film (I used a 21cm tin). Line a baking tray with cling film.
- Once the contents of the saucepan have turned to a liquid and the sugar has completely dissolved, pour in the crumbled biscuits. Stir well until they are well coated with the liquid. Take 2/3 of the coated biscuit mixture and press it firmly into the lined cake tin. Cover the top with cling film and leave to cool to room temperature and then stick it in the fridge for about an hour or so.
- Take the remaining 1/3 of the biscuit mixture and spread it out on the lined baking tray. Break it apart with a fork.
- To assemble the cake. Line a large board or tray. Tip the chilled cake out onto the tray. Sprinkle the biscuit crumbs from the baking tray on top of the cake then jelly tots (buried treasure), build a wall with the chocolate blocks and position the trucks where ever you like.
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland.
If you have tried this recipe let us know what you thought of it in the comments below