Soup is the ultimate in comfort food, and this one is packed with delicious flavours and health benefits. This carrot apple ginger soup recipe is suitable for the whole family, including weaning babies.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
This soup recipe feeds 4 adults, and you can freeze portions easily once it has cooled to room temperature. As always for all my weaning-friendly recipes, there is no salt in this soup. Add to taste after cooking if you prefer.
You May Also Enjoy 5 Simple Warming Winter Recipes Kids will Enjoy
Carrot Apple Ginger Soup Recipe
- 6 medium carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 knob of fresh ginger (about the size of your thumbnail)
- 1 medium apple
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Large pot (with a secure lid)
- Vegetable peeler
- Large wooden spoon
- Stick blender/jug blender
- Put the pot onto the hob and turn onto a medium heat.
- Pour the groundnut oil into the pot so that it can warm up.
- Peel and chop the onion into small chunks.
- Peel and chop the ginger finely.
- Put both the ginger and onion into the pot and stir well.
- Next, peel and roughly chop the carrots and celery. Note – I peel celery if it’s on the old & woody side, it stops your soup from becoming stringy.
- Add the celery and carrots to the pot and stir.
- Last to peel, core and chop is the apple – it stops it from going brown.
- Add the apple to the pot and stir around.
- Pour the stock over all the vegetables and bring the pot to a simmer.
- Cover the pot with the lid and leave to simmer for approximately 45 mins.
- .After which time the vegetables should all be tender.
- Turn off the pot and leave for 15 mins before blending and serving.
- Normally while the soup is cooling a little I butter some bread and wrap it in tinfoil before placing into the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for hot buttered, soft bread. It’s a good trick if your bread is a little bit hard after a few days.
This soup recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland
You May Also Enjoy 16 Splendid Soup Recipes That The Kids Will Love
Have tried this Carrot Apple Ginger Soup recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!