For a simple-to-make delicious summer salad or sandwich filling then try this Cheddar chicken salad recipe. There are 101 ways to make chicken salad, but this is one of our favourites.
It’s perfect for school lunches, picnics, birthday parties or any other place where you aren’t sure how picky the eaters are going to be. Everyone who tries it, enjoys it!
Cheddar Chicken Salad
This salad is great for using up leftover chicken from your Sunday roast. You can dice or shred the roast chicken.
This recipe makes enough for 6 sandwiches.
- 3 chicken breasts (or leftovers from a roast chicken)
- 100g / 4oz grated cheddar cheese
- 125ml / 4oz mayonnaise
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- Red pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet. With your hands, rub each fillet on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle, then cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Allow to cool further. Alternatively, just use diced or shredded leftovers from a roast chicken.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl, seasoning well with salt and pepper. If not serving immediately, chill the salad for up to 24 hours or filled sandwich rolls for up to 2 hours in the fridge, covered.