Continuing our series of Kids Cake Ideas, Katherine, mum of 2, put together this delicious looking Hungry Caterpillar Cake. Make a novel Birthday Cake idea for your boy/girl.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletters. Follow us on facebook and Twitter, Instagram & enjoy our Party Fun board on Pinterest
Makes approx 24 buns + 2 cakes
- 200 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200 g self-raising flour
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ready made ready to roll red icing
- Ready made ready to roll green icing
- Ready made ready to roll black icing
- Ready made Betty Crocker vanilla cream mix
- Green food colouring
- Red food colouring
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C.
- Soften butter in microwave, then whisk the sugar in, then add some flour and some egg, mix the flour & egg alternately then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Using larger muffin sized paper cases, put a good dessert spoon of mix into each. (Tip: use more expensive/better quality cases or a muffin type tin as the buns spread a bit when cooking and can lose their shape somewhat)
- Grease two smallish round cake tins (about 7/8inch) and divide the remaining mixture between them.
- Bake the mini cakes and larger cakes for about 20 mins. Take out and cool on a wire tray.
- Now the fun part… Add green colouring to 1/2 of the vanilla cream icing. (Tip: take care when adding the green colour, if you add too much and your icing gets too wet, add some icing sugar to thicken it back)
- Pipe some of the green icing onto the cupcakes then put them into the fridge.
- Spread some of the vanilla icing onto one layer of the bigger cakes and placed the other on top.
- Roll out the ready made coloured icing. (Tip: if you can’t get red ready made icing, you can add red colouring to ready made white icing but do this with gloves! and you’ll need plenty of red food colouring)
- Make some green leaves out of ready made dark green icing, and egg, legs, antenna… out of black icing and all into the fridge ideally overnight.
- In the morning take a huge piece of card and cover it with some green paper, place the red cake at one end, add eyes, mouth, antenna.
- Place the cupcakes in a curvy line behind that, add the legs and leaves and voila – The Hungry Caterpillar!
Related: Lots more Birthday cake ideas here
If you have tried this cake let us know what you thought of it in the comments below