Made with a shortbread style base with a super easy lemon custard topping and icing sugar, these twice-baked lemon bars are simply delicious and more-ish!
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free? Please share this with your family & friends if you liked it!
- 225g/8 oz butter
- 300g/10 oz flour
- 110g/4 oz icing sugar
- 4 beaten eggs
- 225g/8 oz sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- Sieved icing sugar
- Heat oven to and bake at 162°C / 325°F / Gas mark 3.
- Blend butter, flour and icing sugar. The mixture will start to resemble breadcrumbs. Squeeze together into a soft dough with fingers then pat into ungreased 13x9x2-inch pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- For the filling, blend together eggs, sugar, 4 tablespoons flour, lemon juice, and lemon peel.
- Pour over first layer.
- Return to oven and bake at 162°C / 325°F / Gas mark 3 for 20 minutes.
- Loosen around edges, cut into bars and sift icing sugar over the top while warm.
You might also enjoy reading Lemon Drizzle Cake
Have you made these lemon bars? What did you think? Let us know in the comments.