Are you looking for kids party food ideas? Or for something easy to bake with your child? These Lemon Buns with Lemon Butter Icing are very quick and easy to rustle up, and kids love them!
In my experience, kids love little fairy cakes at parties and these lemon ones go down particularly well, with their delicious lemony icing. We decorated ours with multi coloured edible sprinkles.
Makes approx 12 buns
For the fairy cakes
- 100g butter chopped
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g self-raising white flour
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 210 C
For the icing
- 50g butter melted
- 150g icing sugar
- Juice of half a lemon or to taste
- 2-3 drops of food colouring if you want a fun coloured icing
- Put all ingredients into your food processor or stand blender and whizz for 30 seconds. Clear down the sides with a spatula and whiz again until you get a smooth creamy consistency.
- Spoon the mix into your bun cases (don’t overfill as they will rise).
- Place in very hot oven e.g. 220C and as soon as buns start to rise reduce heat to 190C.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes in total, or until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
To make the icing
- Combine the melted butter and icing sugar and then add the lemon juice to taste.
- Add the food colouring, mix in and check if you need to add more drops to make the colour you want.
- Smooth the icing onto the top of your cooled buns and decorate how you please.
You Might Also Enjoy This Lemon Drizzle Cake Is Perfect To Lift The Spirits
Over to you now. Did you try this recipe for Lemon Buns with Lemon Icing? Let us know what you thought of it in the comments below, we’d love to hear from you!