Are you looking for kids party food ideas? Or for something easy to bake with your child? These lemon buns with lemon buttercream are very quick and easy to rustle up, and kids love them!
In my experience, kids love little fairy cakes at parties and these lemon ones go down particularly well, with their delicious lemony icing. We decorated ours with multi coloured edible sprinkles.
You May Also Enjoy This Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe is Perfect to Lift the Spirits
Lemon Buns with Lemon Buttercream
Makes approx 12 buns
For the fairy cakes
- 100g butter, chopped
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g self-raising white flour
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 210 C
For the icing
- 60g butter, softened
- 140g icing sugar, sifted
- Juice of half a lemon or to taste
- 2-3 drops of food colouring if you want a fun coloured icing
- Preheat the oven to 170C and put cupcake cases into your tin.
- Put all cake ingredients into your food processor or stand blender and whizz for 30 seconds. Clear down the sides with a spatula and whizz again until you get a smooth creamy consistency.
- Spoon the mix into your cases, filling them no more than two-thirds full (don’t overfill, as they will rise).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until risen and golden.
- Leave in the tin for five minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the icing:
- Beat the softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the icing sugar and lemon juice and mix. If using, add food colouring to achieve your desired buttercream colour.
- Once the cakes have cooled, smooth the icing on top and decorate how you please.
You May Also Enjoy This Delicious Lemon and Almond Cake is a Pleasure to Share