This Lemon Drizzle Cake is one to have sitting by the fire with a cup of tea on a Sunday afternoon in the depths of winter, it will lift your spirits.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
There’s something so delightful about things that you cook that are flavoured with lemon. Maybe it’s the scent of the lemon as you squeeze the juice and zest the lemon.
You May Also Enjoy Lemon Buns with Lemon Icing
Delicious Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe
For the cake:
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
For the drizzle:
- Juice and Zest of 1 lemon
- 75g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 170ºC / 340ºF
- Line your tin with baking paper.
- Put all the ingredients for the cake into a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Pour into your lined loaf tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Just before your cake is cooked make your drizzle. Put the juice and zest of the lemon into a small pot together with the sugar. Bring to the boil over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove from the oven and cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Pour the drizzle over the cake and allow to cool completely before serving. To get the drizzle to soak down into the cake I poke holes in the cake with my skewer before pouring over the drizzle.
Recipe by Judy Kavanagh, mum of 2.
You May Also Enjoy Sweet Potato Lemon Drizzle Cake
Have you tried this lemon drizzle cake recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!