My Mum makes these great Whole Grain Bread Rolls. The addition of porridge oats and seeds make them a healthy alternative to shop bought versions. They are easy to master and are ready in about 40 minutes.
- 4oz plain flour
- 4oz porridge oats
- 8oz wholemeal flour
- 1oz butter
- Level teaspoon bread soda
- 1 egg
- 10fl oz buttermilk
- Pinch each of salt and sugar
- 3oz mixed seeds – you can use any including pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, linseed, chia etc.
- Handful of finely chopped chives, if you wish.
- Heat the over to 200c
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients and the chives, if using.
- Mix well using a wooden spoon. The mixture will seem very wet, this is normal.
- Place the mix onto a floured surface and flatten gently with your hand.
- Use a cookie cutter or the top of a glass dipped in flour to cut the rolls into rounds.
- Place the rolls on a greased baking tray and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Test with a skewer after 30 minutes and if it comes out clean they are ready, if not leave them another 5 minutes and test again. Don’t over cook them or they will go hard.
These rolls freeze well so if you make too many, just pop them in a freezer bag once they have cooled and freeze them until needed.
Do you have a good recipe using oats? Please let us know in the comments box below.