This recipe for Soda Bread comes from my Mum and is a firm favourite with everyone in the family. Although she makes it by eye, so no weighing scales are involved, I have given all the measurements. It is so quick and easy to make that you will wonder why you ever bought bread!
Don’t miss the chance to have your say! We’re looking for parents to get involved and give their feedback on all aspects of family life. Find out more here.
If you’ve never baked bread before, don’t be put off – this is very simple and requires no yeast or complicated techniques.
This soda bread is not only delicious, but also incredibly versatile. Serve simply with butter or butter and jam, or add a twist with smoked salmon and cream cheese or your favourite sandwich toppings.
You May Also Enjoy Simple and Delicious Focaccia Bread Recipe
Traditional Soda Bread Recipe
- 454g/1lbs plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon bread soda
- 284g/10oz cold butter or margarine
- 1 level teaspoon cream of tartar
- 300ml/10floz buttermilk (or regular milk with an egg)
- Pinch of salt
- 60g raisins, currants or mixed dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Heat oven to 200°C / 400°F / gas 6.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (except fruit if you are using).
- Cut margarine/butter into cubes and add to dry ingredients. Rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk/milk+egg and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add your dried fruit at this time
- When the ingredients are all combined, place the dough on a floured surface and knead. If the mixture is wet, you can add more flour at this stage. Shape into a round.
- Place the dough in a round, floured baking tin and cut a cross into the top going right out to the edges of each side.
- Bake for approx 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and tap the base – if it sounds hollow, the bread is ready, if not place it back in the over for 5 more minutes.
- If you and the family can resist, wrap in a clean cloth and set aside until cooled.
You May Also Enjoy Sumptuous Soda Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe