Are you looking for an idea for a dessert to serve up on 17th March? Here is my Sumptuous Soda Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe perfect for St Patrick’s Day or any day you fancy a treat!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
I sometimes make my own soda bread and use a recipe passed down by my Mum to me and from her Mum to her. The kids take it to school and usually there is very little left, but if I do have some leftover soda bread, I turn it into a Soda Bread and Butter Pudding.
Sumptuous Soda Bread And Butter Pudding Recipe
This recipe serves 4 – 6 people
- 450g / 1lbs Soda Bread (approx half a loaf)
- Butter to grease baking dish
- 100g / 3.5oz / 1 cup caster sugar
- 300ml / 10 fl oz / 1.2cups full fat milk
- 300ml / 10 fl oz / 1.2cups full fat cream
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tblsp vanilla extract
- 100g / 3.5oz / 1 cup chocolate chips dark/milk/white
- Zest and juice of half an orange
- Handful of dried fruit i.e. cranberries with white chocolate, raisins soaked in whiskey etc.
- Handful of chopped hazelnuts or flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / 160°C fan assisted.
- Grease your baking dish well with butter
- Add the soda bread to the dish in chunks
- Sprinkle on extra ingredients i.e. dark chocolate with orange zest, white chocolate chips with cranberries, soaked raisins, milk chocolate chips with hazelnuts etc.
- Heat the milk and cream together in a saucepan until just below boiling point
- Beat the eggs, vanilla extract and caster sugar together until pale and creamy
- Slowly pour the warmed milk and cream mix into the eggs and sugar mix, beating all the time.
- Once mixed, slowly pour the custard mixture over the bread until it is covered. Leave for 2 to 3 minutes to ensure the custard mix soaks in and top up if necessary.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes (until a skewer comes out clean)
- Leave to cool slightly and serve with whipped cream
You could substitute the soda bread with 4 to 5 croissants, brioche, sliced bread, panettone etc.
You May Also Enjoy: Eves Pudding Recipe and Pear and Almond Pudding Recipe
Have you tried this soda bread and butter pudding recipe? Tell us in the comments box below how you got on and what topping you used, if any.