Are you looking for a simple recipe you can throw into the slow cooker or oven for dinner later? Try this Easy Slow Cooked Mexican Bean and Vegetable Chilli, it’s a zinger!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
This recipe for bean and vegetable chilli with a Mexican feel is a super-easy family friendly meal bursting with flavour and nutrition.
It’s a great one to throw into your slow cooker or crockpot in the morning and the smells will waft through the house as dinner makes itself!
But don’t worry if you don’t have a slow cooker, you can still slow cook this in the oven for a delicious Mexican style dinner.
Don’t Be Stuck For Ideas!
Download our FREE 14-day Dinner Plan! and try some of our favourite family meals.
Slow Cooked Mexican Bean & Veggie Chilli
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 315 minutes
- 1 large brown or white onion
- 1 red onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 aubergine
- 1 red long pepper
- 250g carrots
- 1 red chilli, approx. 20g
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans
- 1 x 400g cannellini beans
- 1 x 400g chickpeas
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Peel, halve and chop the onions.
- Chop the aubergine into medium-sized chunks.
- Cut the pepper in half lengthways, remove the seeds and slice thinly.
- Wipe the celery and chop into slices.
- Peel the carrots and chop into small chunks.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Finely chop the chilli along with the seeds.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onions, aubergine, celery and peppers in the oil for 5 mins.
- Add the chopped chilli and garlic, dried herbs, paprika, cumin and 250ml water, bring to the boil and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the 2 tins chopped tomatoes, chopped carrots and the soy sauce, season with some salt and black pepper, then stir well and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Drain the beans and add to the chilli, mix well and cook for another 60 minutes.
To cook without a slow cooker:
- Once you have sautéed the vegetables in the frying pan and added the chilli and water, transfer to a large saucepan then add the tinned tomato, carrots and soy sauce, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 35 minutes.
- Then drain the beans, add to the chilli and cook for another 20 minutes.
With thanks to Aldi for the recipe, check out more recipes on their website.
You May Also Enjoy Chili Bean Burritos With Corn Salsa
Have you tried this recipe for bean and vegetable chilli? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!