Don’t miss the chance to have your say! We’re looking for parents to get involved and give their feedback on all aspects of family life. Find out more here.
You can always add some finely diced smoked salmon or smoked fish of your choice to the potato mixture. This gives your potato cake recipe an extra little kick of flavour. To really impress your guests or kids, garnish with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley, dill or chives.
This sour cream and chive potato cake recipe was adapted from Great Food. The measurements will make eight small cakes or four generous ones.
You May Also Enjoy 10 Sensational Summer Potato Recipes the Kids will Love
Save This Spectacular Sour Cream and Chive Potato Cake Recipe
- 900 g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 120 ml sour cream, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp finely chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped chives, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A little flour, for dredging (optional)
- 30 g butter, melted
- Olive oil
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender; this will take 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the size. You need to keep checking so they don’t collapse. Drain and mash well in a large bowl.
- Add the sour cream, scallions, chives and mustard and season to taste. Allow the mixture to cool, then shape into round cakes about 5 to 8 cm in diameter (or use a tian ring or cookie cutters).
- Dust with a little flour to give them a golden colour (optional). Rest on a baking tray in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the butter and a splash of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry until the cakes are heated through and golden on each side.
- You can also bake these in the oven on a baking tray at 175°C until golden. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives on top of each cake.
This recipe and more can be found on www.dinnerdujour.org.
You May Also Enjoy Aoife Hearne’s Hawaiian-Style Chicken Fingers and Sweet Potato Wedges
Have your say! What is your favourite potato cake recipe? Have you tried these delicious potato cakes yet? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!