This is Rachel Allen’s strawberry ice cream recipe and a firm favourite in our house. 2 of my kids are dairy allergic/intolerant so you can also use a dairy free cream too and it tastes just as good. It is really light and creamy and best of all you don’t need an ice-cream machine!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Fresh strawberries are ideal for this recipe but you can use frozen as well, just defrost them before making the ice cream.
You May Also Enjoy 10 Simple Ice Cream Recipes that Kids will Love to Make & Eat
Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
- 250g strawberries
- Juice of a lemon
- 250g caster sugar
- 200ml water
- 4 large egg whites
- A pinch of cream of tartar (bextartar)
- 300ml cream, whipped (this amounts to about 500ml of whipped cream) or 300ml soya/dairy-free cream
- Puree the strawberries with the lemon juice in a liquidiser or food processor. You could mash them with a fork, but be careful not to leave them too rough as they can get a bit icy!
- Push the puree through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan, and heat slowly, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Once dissolved. Boil fiercely for 8/9 minutes, until it thickens and the last drops off a spoon dipped into it form a kind of thread.
- Meanwhile, using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff.
- Still whisking, gradually pour in the hot syrup in a thin stream, and continue to whisk until the mixture is cool, glossy and stiff (about 4 or 5 minutes).
- Fold in the strawberry puree and the whipped cream, though not completely – it’s nice to leave it slightly marbled.
- Freeze overnight.
This ice cream can be scooped straight from the freezer. We often buy a packet of cones and some sprinkles and they are a much nicer than those offered by the Ice-cream vans every evening!
You May Also Enjoy Fresh Strawberry Shortcake
Have you tried this strawberry ice cream recipe? Tell us how you got on in the comments below.