Braised Red Cabbage is a great accompaniment to roast duck, pork, game or simply served as a side dish with your Sunday roast dinner. Follow my tasty braised red cabbage recipe for clean plates every time. My top tip – make more than you think you need!
I usually make my braised red cabbage in advance as I think the flavour improves with being left overnight. But you can prepare it on the day if you wish.
- Large Head of Red Cabbage – 2lbs/1kg
- Red or White onions chopped finely – 1lbs/450g
- Granny Smith or Cooking Apples cored and chopped in small chunks (skin on) – 1lbs/450g
- Large knob of butter – ½oz/15g
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 heaped tablespoons soft brown sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- ¼ cup of water (if needed)
- Heat your oven to 300°F/150°C/Gas Mark 2
- Finely shred your red cabbage, chop your onions and core and dice your apples.
- On your stove top, melt the butter in a large, oven proof casserole dish (it must have a tight fitting lid)
- Add your onion and fry gently until softened.
- Next add the crushed garlic, cabbage and diced apple. Cover and cook gently for 5 mins. Stir occasionally to ensure the mixture does not burn.
- Add salt, pepper, vinegar and sugar and if needed, add water.
- Cover and cook for 10 more minutes over a low heat before transferring to the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Check that the red cabbage is cooked through and that the apple pieces have softened.
You can cook this dish entirely on the stove, just cook out for 25 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it does not burn.
This dish can be made up to 2 days in advance and also freezes well if you want to be super organised!
What do you add to your braised red cabbage recipe? Please let us know in the comments box below.