If you’re on TikTok, you’ll definitely have seen this dinner go viral, and we just had to give it a try to see whether the hype was justified. This uuni feta pasta could not have been easier, and was gobbled up in no time – which is the ultimate ‘win’ for any busy parent!
Don’t miss the chance to have your say! We’re looking for parents to get involved and give their feedback on all aspects of family life. Find out more here.
Jenni from Liemassä originally created this uuni feta pasta in 2019, but it has been in recent months that it has skyrocketed in popularity thanks to social media (you can check it out with #uunifetapasta). The result? An actual feta shortage in Jenni’s native Finland and across the US!
I love to cook, but all this time at home has led to a bit of a dinner slump – anyone else feel the same? For 2021, I challenged myself to cook at least one new meal a week, which has really helped to get me excited about cooking again. Granted, it’s only March and there’s plenty of time for this to go awry…
For weeknight meals, time is of the essence so having a meal that is ‘hands off’ where you let the work happen in the slow cooker or oven is ideal. This uuni feta pasta (which means ‘oven feta pasta’) dish fits the bill – the feta and tomatoes for the sauce are baked in the oven, so all you have to do is cook some pasta to add in at the end.
Also, in my typical ‘a bit of this and a bit of that’ style of cooking, I love that you don’t need to measure anything exactly. You can add chilli if you want some heat in your sauce, or you could change things up by adding cooked chicken, black olives or spinach – it’s very versatile.
You May Also Enjoy 10 Tempting Vegetarian Pasta Recipes Perfect for Family Dinner
Uuni Feta Pasta Recipe
For my version of the uuni feta pasta dish, I’ve kept it simple just like the original but with a little more punch to the flavours. Enjoy!
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 600g cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- Half a red chilli, chopped or 1-2 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 block of Feta (approx 200g)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 300g pasta
- A handful of basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F.
- In a large ovenproof dish, combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic and chilli (if using).
- Drizzle over the olive oil and balsamic, season (feta can be salty, so be careful about adding too much additional salt) and toss to make sure everything is coated thoroughly.
- Create a well in the centre and add the block of feta. Drizzle with a little oil, season and put in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- When the feta and tomatoes are soft and blistered, remove from the oven. Use a fork or wooden spoon to mash up the feta and garlic, then add the pasta and basil leaves. Toss everything together and serve immediately.
You May Also Enjoy Easy Peasy Pesto Pasta – Perfect for a Quick Midweek Meal
Have your say! Have you tried the uuni feta pasta recipe yet? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!