Honeycomb is fun and quick to make and tastes delicious. Watch How to Make Honeycomb and have fun with the kids making your own. This mixture will fizz up so prepare them for that before you start!
Sign up for our free monthly newsletters. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, Instagram, Youtube & Pinterest.
- 200g sugar – we use granulated but you could also use caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 tablespoons bicarbonate of soda
- Line and grease a baking tray
- Add the sugar, a few tablespoons of water and the golden syrup and honey to a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until the mixture has turned a dark caramel colour
- Keep stirring to ensure it does not stick.
- Be careful not to burn the mixture.
- Once your sugar mixture has reached the correct colour, remove it from the heat.
- You will need to work quickly to whisk in 3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda. The mixture will foam up, this is normal and is adding essential air to give you the unique bubbles
- Pour the mixture into prepared tin and leave to cool.
- Once cooled it will be a hard lump. Use your hands to break it up into bite size pieces.
At this stage you could melt chocolate and dip the honeycomb in to create a homemade crunchie bar! Or you could crush the honeycomb and add it to vanilla ice-cream.
Top Tip: The honeycomb will harden onto your saucepan and cooking utensils but if you soak them in cold water for an hour the honeycomb will dissolve and everything will be easy to clean.
Have you tried making Honeycomb? Let us know in the comments box below.