- Chop your onion and fry gently in some olive oil until softened.
- Add the chicken and sausage.
- Add the rice and stir until the rice is coated.
- Stir in the frozen veg.
- Add the chicken stock, start with 3/4 of the stock and keep aside a bit until you see how much the rice needs.
- Add a pinch of salt (not too much as the stock will have salt) and some grinds of black pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally. When you see the rice needs more liquid add the remaining stock and stir.
- After a further ten minutes of simmering, check if your rice is cooked and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Serve with a green salad.
My family just loves the combination of chicken and polish sausage but you can vary the meat you put in, it’s a great way of using up leftover roast meat.
You can also change the vegetables, if you use fresh chopped vegetables e.g. peppers or courgettes for example, just add them after the onion and fry for a couple more minutes to soften them.