When you need a recipe for family dinner that can be on the table in no time, this easy chicken and veggie rice is quick to rustle up. It’s very child-friendly and a good way of sneaking some veg in too!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
When I need a very quick and simple dinner recipe this is one I come back to regularly. My kids love it. You can vary the veg and the meat you put into it too.
You May Also Enjoy One-Pot Mexican Chicken Rice
Easy-to-Make Chicken and Veggie Rice
- 250g diced cooked chicken, e.g. leftover from your Sunday roast
- 250g diced Polish sausage
- 2 cups easy cook rice
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 onion
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- Salt and pepper
- Chop your onion and fry gently in some olive oil until softened.
- Add the chicken and sausage.
- Add the rice and stir until the rice is coated.
- Stir in the frozen veg.
- Add the chicken stock, start with 3/4 of the stock and keep aside a bit until you see how much the rice needs.
- Add a pinch of salt (not too much as the stock will have salt) and some grinds of black pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally. When you see the rice needs more liquid add the remaining stock and stir.
- After a further ten minutes of simmering, check if your rice is cooked and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Serve with a green salad.
My family just loves the combination of chicken and polish sausage but you can vary the meat you put in, it’s a great way of using up leftover roast meat.
You can also change the vegetables, if you use fresh chopped vegetables e.g. peppers or courgettes for example, just add them after the onion and fry for a couple more minutes to soften them.
You May Also Enjoy This Deliciously Easy Vegetable Stir Fry Takes Just Minutes to Make!
Have your say! Have you tried this chicken and veggie rice recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!