Are you stuck in a rut with your family meals? Would you like some new dinner ideas to feed the family? Using just a handful of ingredients, you can whip up this one-pot Mexican chicken rice in no time!
Don’t miss the chance to have your say! We’re looking for parents to get involved and give their feedback on all aspects of family life. Find out more here.
It can be hard to come up with something new, so transforming some regular fridge and store cupboard ingredients into something new is always handy. This recipe uses chicken breasts, peppers, onions and rice, with some spicy flavour – and the best bit is that it just takes 30 minutes!
You May Also Enjoy Try This Mexican Tortilla Bake for a Yummy Family Dinner
One-Pot Mexican Chicken Rice
You can also spice it up more depending on age and palates by replacing the paprika with chilli powder.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- Rice for 4 people (I used easy cook long grain)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tin of mixed beans drained
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g frozen sweet corn
- 500ml chicken stock
- Chop onion and pepper and fry in a little olive oil over a medium heat until they soften for a few minutes.
- Add the spices and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the chicken and fry until the chicken is cooked eg 10-15 minutes stirring off and on.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Then add the stock, mixed beans, peas and sweet corn. I usually add eg 2/3 of the stock and see how it cooks and add more if required.
- Put the lid on and cook on a lower heat for twenty minutes stirring half way through. Add more stock if required half way through.
- Check if the rice is cooked and give it a few minutes longer if needed.
- You can change the vegetables used to ones your kids like e.g. courgette, and mushrooms are good too.
I made a grated carrot and sliced beetroot salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil to serve with it but a green salad would also be nice.
For spicier palates you could also serve with some spicy salsa on top.
You May Also Enjoy Super Quick Smoky BBQ Fajitas Recipe
One teen ate it all, the other most of it, my husband polished his off too. So over all a success!
You May Also Enjoy 25 Super Scrummy Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes