Are you stuck in a rut with your family meals? Would you like some new dinner ideas to feed the family? Help is at hand.
Michelle and I have decided to run a monthly family dinner challenge. We both get 4 to 5 staple ingredients, things we all buy weekly, and the challenge is to turn them into a tasty family meal using store cupboard ingredients. For this month, I have made Jill’s One Pot Mexican Chicken Rice, easy to make, ready in less than 30 mins and only one pot to wash up!
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Our challenge this month was to cook a family dinner with these 4 ingredients
- chicken breasts
- onions and
I decided to make a chicken rice dish as I knew my kids like that but the pepper made me think of Mexican. So here’s my one pot Mexican chicken rice recipe which is super easy and ready in under 30 minutes.
You can also spice it up more depending on age and palates by replacing the paprika with chilli powder.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- Rice for 4 people (I used easy cook long grain)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tin of mixed beans drained
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g frozen sweet corn
- 500ml chicken stock
- Chop onion and pepper and fry in a little olive oil over a medium heat until they soften for a few minutes.
- Add the spices and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the chicken and fry until the chicken is cooked eg 10-15 minutes stirring off and on.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Then add the stock, mixed beans, peas and sweet corn. I usually add eg 2/3 of the stock and see how it cooks and add more if required.
- Put the lid on and cook on a lower heat for twenty minutes stirring half way through. Add more stock if required half way through.
- Check if the rice is cooked and give it a few minutes longer if needed.
- You can change the vegetables used to ones your kids like e.g. courgette, and mushrooms are good too.
I made a grated carrot and sliced beetroot salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil to serve with it but a green salad would also be nice.
For spicier palates you could also serve with some spicy salsa on top.
You might also enjoy reading Super Quick Smoky BBQ Fajitas Recipe
One teen ate it all, the other most of it, my husband polished his off too. So over all a success!
You may also enjoy reading – 25 Super Scrummy Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
Over to you now. Would you be tempted to try my Mexican Chicken Rice recipe? Please share your thoughts, additions or improvements with us in the comments box below.