For many students, the decision has been made. But for others, the future is not so clear! There is still plenty of time for students to change their choices as the CAO Change of Mind Deadline is July 1st 2017. So if your teen wants to consider different options, see what Smartfutures have to say about a career in STEM.
The online CAO Change of Mind deadline for 2017 is July 1st at 17.15. For those students who are still unsure if they have made the correct course choices, this is an opportunity to look at alternatives they may not have considered, such as STEM courses.
Studying STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and maths) gives you a set of skills such as critical thinking and problem solving, creativity and innovation, design and communications, all of which are highly valued by many different types of employers.
Career opportunities in STEM are many and varied from a career as a biochemist to a sports scientist, an animator to a web designer, an aeronautical engineer to a software engineer or an accountant to a statistician, a world of opportunities awaits you. To read and learn more about different STEM careers, log onto Smartfutures and investigate which STEM career is best suited to you.
How can parents help?
A recent survey carried out by Smartfutures found that 51% of college students said their parents influenced their decision making, and that they’d advised their son or daughter, based on what they thought would suit their personality.
So if a parent holds any stereotypes about science and maths themselves (“It’s too difficult!” or “it’s not really for girls”) this can be picked up on and limit a student’s perceptions about what to consider. Especially important for those having CAO change of mind conversations!
We can only begin to imagine the jobs of the future – but solving some of our greatest problems (like renewable energy, sustainable food and ever increasing and ageing populations) will need scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians.
Why should our children not lead the way with the skills to create a brighter, safer tomorrow?
Key CAO Dates to Be Aware Of
- 1st July 2017 – CAO change of mind deadline.
- Mid-August 2017 – Leaving Certification Results Issued
- 22nd August 2017 – Round 1 offers available from 06:00 online – also issued by post, e-mail and SMS text. Applicants who have not received an offer will receive a Statement of Application Record.
- 29th August 2017 – Round 1 Acceptances closing date (17:15). Acknowledgement of Acceptances posted within 3 working days.
- 1st September 2017 – Round 2 offers available from 06:00 online.
- Early October 2017 – Results of Leaving Certificate appeals released
- 14th October 2017 – Offer season ends.
Smart Futures is coordinated and managed by Science Foundation Ireland, in partnership with the Engineers Ireland’s STEPS programme and is supported by 50+ organisations from research and academia, as well as many partners.