For many students, the decision has been made. But for others, the future is not so clear! There is still plenty of time for students to change their choices as the CAO Change of Mind Deadline is July 1st 2019. So if your teen wants to consider different options, they still have time.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
When you’re parenting a teen and there are these new things that come along it can be a bit daunting to know how best to advise them.
Doing your college course applications is a big decision but there’s time to change your mind.
The online CAO Change of Mind deadline for 2019 is July 1st at 17.15. For those students who are still unsure if they have made the correct course choices, this is an opportunity to look at alternatives they may not have considered.
How can parents help?
A recent survey carried out by Smartfutures found that 51% of college students said their parents influenced their decision making, and that they’d advised their son or daughter, based on what they thought would suit their personality.
So, for example, if a parent holds any stereotypes about science and maths themselves (“It’s too difficult!” or “it’s not really for girls”) this can be picked up on and limit a student’s perceptions about what to consider.
Especially important for those having CAO change of mind conversations!
Discuss options with your teen and keep an open mind. Try not to steer them in the direction you feel they should be taking. The last thing you want after all is for them to start a course then drop out because they just aren’t into it.
Some parents decide to use a career advisor to help with choices at this point too.
Key CAO Dates to Be Aware Of for 2019
- 1st July 2019 – CAO change of mind deadline.
- Mid-August 2019 – Leaving Certification Results Issued
- 15th August 2019 – Round 1 offers available from 06:00 online – also issued by post, e-mail and SMS text. Applicants who have not received an offer will receive a Statement of Application Record.
- 23rd August 2019 – Round 1 Acceptances closing date (17:15). Acknowledgement of Acceptances posted within 3 working days.
- 28th August 2019 – Round 2 offers available from 06:00 online.
- 30th August 2019 – Round 2 Acceptances closing date
- Mid September 2019 – Results of Leaving Certificate appeals released
- 25th September 2019 – Offer season ends.
You may also enjoy reading Key Dates for Parents of Leaving Cert Students
Over to you now. How did you and your teen approach CAO change of mind? Let us know in the comments below.