Special Needs Resources in Mayo
Many families, whose child has been diagnosed with a learning need, genetic condition or disability find that it’s hard to locate services and supports for their particular need.
We have put together a list of services and supports available in Mayo. If you know of other services or voluntary organisations that we can list here please email me firstname.lastname@example.org
Disability Advocacy Service
Mayo Citizens Information Service Ltd is operating a Disability Advocacy Project. The aim of the project is to develop a professional advocacy service, which will be central to advocating for people with disabilities particularly people who may feel at a disadvantage when claiming their entitlements.
Advocacy is a means of empowering people with disabilities by supporting them to assert their views, rights and entitlements, ensuring their independence and, where necessary, representing and negotiating on their behalf.
The Disability Advocacy Officer is Clare O’ Neill. Clare is based at Castlebar CIC and can be contacted on (094) 9060371 or by email at email@example.com
Disability Services in Mayo
Intellectual, Physical and Sensory Disability Services are delivered directly and in partnership with a wide range of voluntary service providers.
The services are provided under the headings of Intellectual Disability services and Physical & Sensory Disability services.
Intellectual Disability Organisations
Aras Attracta Centre, Swinford, Co. Mayo Tel: (094) 925 1900
- Residential Services.
- Respite/Community Services
Western Care Voluntary Organisation
Wester Care Association, John Moore Rd,Castlebar Co.Mayo (www.westerncare.com) 094 9025133
- Community based services.
- Services based on area structures.
- Combination of children and adult services.
- Day services- Adults
Physical and Sensory Disability
- Therapy services- Physiotherapy, Speech and Language, Occupational Therapy- HSE (094) 9022333
- Irish Wheelchair Association- Day Services, Personal Assistant Services- 094 90
- Enable Ireland-services for Children with Disability- 094 90 60234
- Cheshire Ireland- Residential/Respite services adults -094 9384143
- Mayo Centre for Independent Living.- Personal Assistant Services -094 9034980
- National Association for the Deaf.- support/advice and equipment- 091 564871
- National Council for the Blind of Ireland- support/ advice and equipment- 091 564926
- Work Web West- supported employment services-094 9043008
- Citizens Information Centres (www.oasis.gov.ie).
- Mayo Disability Advocate -094 9025544
- www.accesswest.ie – Directiory of Disability Organisations, etc.
- Case Manager/Liasion Officer under Disability Act-HSE- St Mary’s Headquarters, Mayo PCCC , Castlebar Co. Mayo-094 9049116
- Assessment Officer – under Disability Act-HSE- St Mary’s Headquarters, Mayo PCCC , Castlebar Co.Mayo 094 9049109
- Disability Services Manager- St Mary’s Headquarters, Mayo PCCC , Castlebar Co.Mayo 0949049081
Disability Act 2005
The Disability Act 2005 is currently being implemented for children under 5, it entitles one to apply for an Independent Assessment of Need and to a Service Statement. Apply to Assessment Officer –St Mary’s Headquarters, Mayo PCCC , Castlebar Co. Mayo
We have a list of local speech & language therapists, other therapists and providers of special education services.
There are many voluntary organisations that provide information and support to families. We list the ones that have local committees or offices:
- ARC Stradbally – a resource centre for families of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- www.loffa.ie a website of the Laois Offaly families for Autism – provides support and an information service for families with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Irish Wheelchair Association has an office in Portlaoise and offers information and advice.
- The Special Needs Parents Association provides information and support.
- The National Council for Special Education is a statutory body designed to sanction the provision of Special Needs Assistants in schools.
- www.irishdeafkids.ie is an on-line resource that is offering a new teen life-skills workshop on exam study skills and labeling life goals in Portlaoise (May 14th, 2011)
- The National Council for the Blind in Ireland (www.ncbi.ie) provides information and support services for the blind.
Psychologists (The Psychological Society of Ireland), Occupational Therapists (Association of Occupational Therapists of Ireland) and Speech Therapists ( Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists ) can be located through their respective associations.
Sports and Recreational Activities
The Mayo Sports Inclusion Disability Officer organises sporting and physical activities for children and adults with disabilities. He can be contacted on
Castlebar Special Olympic Table Tennis Club
Contact: Kevin Devaney
Address: 124 Knockaphunta Drive, Westport Road, Co.Mayo
Phone / Mobile: /
Enable Ireland Disability Club
Contact: Mary Mulryan
Address: Unit 14, N5 Business Park, Moneen, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
Phone / Mobile: 094 9060234 /
Contact: Rose Coyle
Address: Attawalla,Bangor Erris, Belmullet, Co. Mayo
Phone / Mobile: 097 81728
This on-line company supplies books especially written for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Down’s Syndrome.
CBeebies is a a nice site for both parents and teachers which gives simple information on a range of special educational needs categories. Articles are written by teachers, parents and family members of people with Special Needs
Other useful links
Department of Education & Skills – www.education.ie
CARA Adapted Physical Activity Centre in Tralee, Co.Kerry – http://www.caraapacentre.ie
Irish Wheelchair Assocation