Amazing Activities for Families Not To Be Missed at Funtropolis
The Story Yurt
At Merrion Square Park, on July 10th the theme of storytelling will be brought to life in the magical Story Yurt where a packed programme (including readings from some of Ireland’s best loved writers!) is sure to entertain while also igniting a love of literature.
Families will be encouraged to work together to decorate structures inspired by their favourite book, using materials such as wool, plastics, fabrics and foil at ReCreate.
Kids and adults alike will also get the chance to sing, dance and chat with their favourite characters from the popular children’s songbook Polcaphonc.
At Mountjoy Square on August 21st, in The Story Yurt, young and old will enjoy stepping back in time at EPIC: A Sailor went to Sea, Sea, Sea – An interactive, sea themed event for the whole family in association with EPIC Museum.
Writer Sarah Webb will be on hand for a very special reading of The Bee Charmer of Henrietta Street along with illustrator Rachel Corcoran while Granny Whale’s Pirate Tale will be a wonderful collaboration of music, storytelling and shadow puppetry detailing the story of Grainne Mhaol, Ireland’s now mythologised Pirate Queen.
Free Music at the Bandstand in Merrion Square Park
Sit back and relax close to the bandstand and enjoy music performance from amazing artists including;
- Rathfarnham Ukulele Performance Group (RUGS)
- Cork based Irish Brass Band Code of Behaviour
- Vibrant samba ensemble Morro 16
- Dance along to The Beat Goes On with DJ Donal Dineen.
The Zen Den & The Big Dig in Merrion Square Park
Take some time out and learn yoga, movement meditation and mindfulness through dancing, singing, storytime and games at the Zen Den.
Curious minds of all ages are sure to love getting their hands dirty and making discoveries at The Big Dig, true hands-on learning for young people through a simulated archaeological dig.
FREE Live Performances at Merrion Square Park
Families can also enjoy awe-inspiring aerial antics from the one and only Kate Finegan who will be on the main stage at Merrion Square Park on July 10th.
Also on stage will be:
- Jaw-dropping antics of Guido Fanzini’s Thunderous Entertainment Haberdashery
- Scientist and TV Presenter, Mark the Science Guy, from RTEjr’s; Let’s Find Out for an interactive, fun filled, energetic display of awesome science experiments for the whole family to enjoy.
- Curious State: Messrs. Smiley & Veneer are delighted to present Service with a Smile – a jam-packed performance of comedy, live music and song.
- Little Gem Puppets are guaranteed to bring joy and magic to their audience with their interactive puppet show.
- Ireland’s only all-woman cabaret Daring Dames are also set to make an appearance. With extraordinary skill, daring and humour these amazing women defy convention in funny, friendly and fabulous ways whether as hilarious clowns, or in astonishing acts of strength.