Funtropolis family-fun events are coming to Dublin City Centre this summer. Two fun-filled days, one in Merrion Square on July 10th and the other in Mountjoy Square on August 21st, have been organised by Dublin City Council.
Both events will be absolutely jam-packed with FREE live performances, exciting street theatre and science shows, immersive storytelling, delicious food and drink, and everything in between!
The ultimate summer events and the perfect occasion for making memories, reconnecting and having some good old fashioned family fun and frolics, all set in the very heart of Dublin’s fair city and easily accessible by Luas & Bus routes.
Amazing Activities for Families Not To Be Missed at Funtropolis
The Story Yurt
At Merrion Square Park, on July 10th the theme of storytelling will be brought to life in the magical Story Yurt where a packed programme (including readings from some of Ireland’s best loved writers!) is sure to entertain while also igniting a love of literature.
Families will be encouraged to work together to decorate structures inspired by their favourite book, using materials such as wool, plastics, fabrics and foil at ReCreate.
Kids and adults alike will also get the chance to sing, dance and chat with their favourite characters from the popular children’s songbook Polcaphonc.
At Mountjoy Square on August 21st, in The Story Yurt, young and old will enjoy stepping back in time at EPIC: A Sailor went to Sea, Sea, Sea – An interactive, sea themed event for the whole family in association with EPIC Museum.
Writer Sarah Webb will be on hand for a very special reading of The Bee Charmer of Henrietta Street along with illustrator Rachel Corcoran while Granny Whale’s Pirate Tale will be a wonderful collaboration of music, storytelling and shadow puppetry detailing the story of Grainne Mhaol, Ireland’s now mythologised Pirate Queen.
Free Music at the Bandstand in Merrion Square Park
Sit back and relax close to the bandstand and enjoy music performance from amazing artists including;
- Rathfarnham Ukulele Performance Group (RUGS)
- Cork based Irish Brass Band Code of Behaviour
- Vibrant samba ensemble Morro 16
- Dance along to The Beat Goes On with DJ Donal Dineen.
The Zen Den & The Big Dig in Merrion Square Park
Take some time out and learn yoga, movement meditation and mindfulness through dancing, singing, storytime and games at the Zen Den.
Curious minds of all ages are sure to love getting their hands dirty and making discoveries at The Big Dig, true hands-on learning for young people through a simulated archaeological dig.
FREE Live Performances at Merrion Square Park
Families can also enjoy awe-inspiring aerial antics from the one and only Kate Finegan who will be on the main stage at Merrion Square Park on July 10th.
Also on stage will be:
- Jaw-dropping antics of Guido Fanzini’s Thunderous Entertainment Haberdashery
- Scientist and TV Presenter, Mark the Science Guy, from RTEjr’s; Let’s Find Out for an interactive, fun filled, energetic display of awesome science experiments for the whole family to enjoy.
- Curious State: Messrs. Smiley & Veneer are delighted to present Service with a Smile – a jam-packed performance of comedy, live music and song.
- Little Gem Puppets are guaranteed to bring joy and magic to their audience with their interactive puppet show.
- Ireland’s only all-woman cabaret Daring Dames are also set to make an appearance. With extraordinary skill, daring and humour these amazing women defy convention in funny, friendly and fabulous ways whether as hilarious clowns, or in astonishing acts of strength.
Evolving Art & The Big Dig in Mountjoy Square
In keeping with the nautical theme for Funtropolis at Mountjoy Square, ReCreate will be encouraging everyone to get involved and work collaboratively on a piece of evolving art throughout the event, this time in the in the form of a sailing ship.
The Big Dig will provide an amazing opportunity to bring history to life and explore the viking world.
Free Live Performances in Mountjoy Square
Expect awesome live performances throughout the day on August 21st in Mountjoy Square including:
- Messrs. Smiley & Veneer, an education in all things bees at Bee-ology which weaves together the threads of circus, storytelling and ecology
- Enjoy a chance to turn super- sleuths with Cryptozoologist Mick Minogue
- For all those budding performers – Strong Women Science, a circus show for all the family revealing all the scientific secrets behind the astounding tricks you see on stage!
- The bandstand will be rocking for the day with music from RUGS, DJ Donal Dineen and Code of Behaviour along with Grooveline – the Irish language, teenage funk rock band who are taking the country by storm.
Pop up stalls will provide delicious treats, sweets and eats for both days.
For more information and updates, make sure to check out www.dublin.ie/funtropolis
When visiting be sure to share your Funtropolis experiences on social media with #funtropolisdublin