Heading out for a day out with the kids can end up being a costly exercise so when somewhere offers an annual pass or membership it’s worth looking at these as a way of saving money – particularly if you think you will visit a few times during the year.
We have rounded up some great attractions in Ireland that offer family pass options to help save you money.
Where Can You Get a Family Pass in Ireland?
Many of Ireland’s top attractions, and plenty of local ones, offer the option to buy a family pass or membership that is worth its weight in gold for a family day out. For most, as long you visit a handful of times in the year, it pays for itself.
It also takes the pressure off trying to do it all in one day, particularly for larger attractions – knowing you can come back takes a lot of the stress out of having a picture-perfect family day trip.
So whether your family prefers action, adventure, nature or history, there are lots of options available. Take a look at some of our favourites below.
Irish Heritage Trust
When you become a member of the Irish Heritage Trust you will enjoy:
- Unlimited entry to Irish Heritage Trust properties at Fota House Arboretum & Gardens (Cork), The National Famine Museum | Strokestown Park (Roscommon) and Johnstown Castle Estate, Museum & Gardens (Wexford).
- Garden, museum, and tour access across the properties.
- Discounted and free events across Irish Heritage Trust houses, gardens, and museums.
Cost: €140 for 2 Adults plus dependent children living at the same address
Compared to a normal family ticket? A day visit to Johnstown Castle Gardens for 2 Adults & 4 children costs €24.
Where to buy: Buy online on www.irishheritagetrust.ie
Irish National Stud, Kildare
Season Ticket holders enjoy access to the Irish National Stud and Gardens all year round.
They also hold exclusive member-only events where you can meet the first of the foals before anyone else, enjoy exclusive member-only children’s events throughout the year and get news and updates on your favourite foals.
Cost: €130 for two adults and up to four children
Compared to a normal family ticket? A family ticket for 2 adults + 2 children (aged 5-16) costs €31.50 to €42.00
Where to buy: You can buy the family season pass on their website.
Birr Castle Demesne
An annual pass to Birr Castle Demesne gives you:
- Unlimited access to the Gardens, Science Galleries and Treehouse Playground Area, within the public opening hours.
- 10 kilometres of walking trails to enjoy.
- Free membership for children age 3 years and under with any family membership.
- Regular email newsletter keeping you up to-date with news and events.
- 10% discount in the Gift Shop.
- Dogs allowed. (Subject to T&C outlined under “For our dog owners”).
- 4 Complimentary guest passes with each individual 12-month membership taken out.
Cost: €82 for a 12-Month Adult Membership (18-64 years), €57 for a 12-Month Additional Adult Membership (18-64 years) and €22 for a12-Month Child Membership (4-17 years)
Compared to a normal family ticket? A family ticket for 2 adults + 2 children costs €28.
Where to buy: On their website www.birrcastle.com or at the ticket office.
Beyond the Trees Avondale
Annual passes for the Treetop Walk & Viewing Tower at Beyond the Trees Avondale include unlimited visits throughout the year. The famous Slide is subject to both weather and capacity, and doesn’t operate during wet weather. It costs €2 per go on the Viewing Tower slide, payable at the slide on the day. U6’s slide for free, however they must be accompanied on the slide by a paying adult.
Cost: €105 for 2 Adults + up to 3 kids (aged 4-17)
Compared to a normal family ticket? A family ticket for 2 adults & up to 3 kids (under 18) costs €40.
Where to buy: On their website www.beyondthetreesavondale.com or at the ticket office.
Lough Key Forest & Activity Park, Roscommon
At the moment Lough Key doesn’t offer an annual membership or season ticket but we wanted to include their car parking pass which can be purchased from the Visitor Centre for only €35, and is valid for one year from day of purchase. There are no limitations on this pass, it can be used as often as you like, so works out at fantastic value if you plan to visit regularly for picnics and activities.
You also get free parking at Lough Key when you spend €20 or more on admissions to their attractions or in the restaurant, and they do also offer combination day passes for activities to save you money.
Brigit’s Garden have an annual family pass which gives:
- Unlimited entry to Brigit’s Garden for 12 months when normal charges apply (Special Events excluded)
- 5% discount in the Garden Café and Gift Shop
- 10% discount on tickets for special events
- 20% discount for guests you bring to the gardens
- 10% discount on Summer Camps for children covered by family membership
- Monthly newsletters and updates by email
Cost: A 12 month membership for 2 adults and 2 kids costs €100, while a membership for 1 adult and 2 kids costs €60.
Compared to a normal family ticket? A ticket for a family of 5 (2 Adults, 3 Children) costs €25.
Where to buy: To get your annual membership go online to their website www.brigitsgarden.ie
Clara Lara Funpark, Wicklow
Seasonal Membership at Clara Lara Funpark covers admission and activities (height restrictions apply). An adult must be the main holder of the ticket.
Cost: Membership costs €50 per adult or child, so for 2 adults and 2 children €200
Compared to a normal family ticket? A day pass for an adult costs €20 while for a child it costs €25, so 2 adults and 2 children would cost €90.
Where to buy: you can buy online on their website www.claralara.ie.
Seasonal Membership at Westport House gives you:
- Unlimited use of the amusements and rides in the Pirate Adventure Park during normal opening hours.
- 25% off additional tickets for friends and family to Westport House & Pirate Adventure Park
- 10% off birthday parties in the Pirates Den indoor soft play
- Discounts on Special Events like Halloween or Winter Wonderland
Additional charges apply for adventure activities, special events such as the Halloween Fest and Winter Wonderland, carnival games, some additional attractions and rides. Membership cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers or for special events in Westport House. e.g. Santa, Events, Halloween, School Tours etc.
Cost: They have various family memberships, for a family of 4 membership is €240
Compared to a normal family ticket? 1 Day Pirate Pass for 2 Adults & up to 2 Children costs €70.
Where to buy: you can buy online on their website www.westporthouse.ie or at Westport House itself.
Heritage Card Ireland
The Heritage Card provides for free admission to 45 state-managed OPW Heritage Sites located throughout the country (with the exception of Muckross Traditional Farms, Killarney) for one year from the date of first use.
NB: at certain locations, parking facilities and ancillary services are provided by other bodies or agencies, in which case there may be a charge for the use of such services, those are not covered by the Heritage Card.
Cost: A family card is €90 (Max. 2 adults & 5 eligible children aged from 12 to 18 years). Kids under 12 go free.
Compared to a normal family ticket? Prices for family tickets vary depending on site but cost on average €20-25 euros for 2 adults and 2 children (12-17yrs).
Where to buy: You can purchase an OPW Heritage Card at one of their OPW sites, some have credit card facilities. Alternatively, buy online at www.heritageireland.ie
Wells House and Gardens, Wexford
Wells House offers an annual pass that is valid for one year, 7 days a week, offers one car entry, entry to the grounds including the Lady Frances Fairy & Gruffalo Walk, gardens, adventure playground, onsite cafe, animal farm, and non-ticketed events for 2023.
Cost: Annual Family Membership for 2 adults and up to 3 children costs €99.00 + €1.50 booking fee
Compared to a normal family ticket? Family ticket for 2 Adults, up to 3 Children costs €24.00
Where to buy: buy your annual pass on their website www.wellshouse.ie or at reception
Secret Valley Wildlife Park, Wexford
Become a member at Secret Valley Wildlife Park and you can visit as often as you like and contribute to the running of the park. You will also be invited to any special events that might be happening, as well as receiving their newsletter.
Cost: Annual memberships cost €45 for adults and €35 for a child, so e.g. 2 adults and 2 children would cost €160.
They also offer Sponsor membership where you get to sponsor your favourite animal at the park. For this membership you will receive free entrance to the park as often as you like, a fact sheet and photo on your chosen animal, a gift certificate, and your name on the sponsor’s board. That costs €60 per adult and €50 per child.
Compared to a normal family ticket? A family ticket for 2 adults & 2 children (aged 3+) costs €35.
Where to buy: Buy membership online on their website www.secretvalley.ie.
Airfield Estate, Dublin
Airfield Annual Pass Holders enjoy:
- Unlimited visits
- Free entry to Airfield’s seasonal trails
- Discounts on selected classes & workshops
- 10% off food in Overends Kitchen
Cost: e.g. 4 Person Pass is €170
Compared to a normal family ticket? Day ticket for 2 adults + 2 children costs €34.
Where to buy: An Annual Pass can be purchased over the phone or at the Airfield Estate ticket desk.
Bunratty Castle & Folk Park, Clare
A 12 month family membership offers plenty, including:
- Day visit admission to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park
- 10% Discount on admission to other Shannon Heritage Attractions
- 10% Discount in the Bunratty Retail Store
- 10% Discount in all food outlets including Mr O’Regan’s Café
- Free Parking
- Priority booking options for all events – additional fees apply for Easter Halloween and Christmas.
- 10% discount on Shannon Heritage Evening Entertainment Shows
Cost: €150 for 2 adults and up to 4 children
Compared to a normal family ticket? A family pass for 2 adults and 2 children costs €36
Where to buy? Buy it online on the website www.bunrattycastle.ie
A 12 month Killruddery House Membership gives you:
- Access to the Gardens and selected walking paths*
- Access to the Garden Tearoom and the Walled Garden*
- 10% off many events.
Cost: There are three tiers of membership.
- Gold Killruddery Membership €100 – Five guests allowed along with the member
- Silver Killruddery Membership €80 – Three guests allowed along with the member
- Bronze Killruddery Membership €60 – One guest allowed along with the member
This is the total number of either adults or children who can visiting Killruddery without further entrance fee, the member must be one of the guests present.
Compared to a normal family ticket? A Garden + House Tour entry ticket for 2 Adults + 2 Children costs €42.
Where to buy: You can purchase a membership on their website www.killruddery.com or at the Garden Entrance.
A Dublin Zoo Annual Family Pass offers lots of value, including:
- Free admission to the Zoo for 12 months (plus at least one adult / two children)
- You will also get free admission to Fota Wildlife Park in Cork for 12 months
- Free admission to four UK zoos during the 12 months – Edinburgh Zoo, Colchester Zoo, Twycross Zoo and Paignton Zoo
- A free subscription to quarterly magazine Zoo Matters
- Discounts on selected events, summer camps and educational programmes
Cost: €210 for Pass holder + 2 Adults + 2 Children or Pass holder + 1 Adult + 4 Children or Pass holder + 6 Children
Compared to a normal family ticket? A day ticket for 2 Adults + 2 Children costs €54.
Where to buy: Buy online on www.dublinzoo.ie or at the ticket office at the Zoo.
Fota Wildlife Park, Cork
Members of Fota Wildlife Park get unlimited visits to the Park, as well as:
- Fota Wildlife Park Newsletters
- 10% off all Children’s Activity Camps
- Free admission to Dublin Zoo
- One visit per year to Edinburgh Zoo, Highlands Wildlife Park & Belfast Zoo (card & receipt must be produced)
- Admission concession to Paignton Zoo, Newquay Zoo, and Living Coasts (card & receipt must be produced)
Cost: €210 per year for their Conservation Pass which allows entry for Member + 2 adults + 2 kids (3-16yrs, under 3s are free) OR Member + 1 adult + 4 kids OR Member + 6 kids. They also have a Park Pass valid for Member + 2 children for €150.
Compared to a normal family ticket? A family ticket for 2 adults + 2 children costs €54.60.
Where to buy: On their website www.fotawildlife.ie or at the ticket office.
Powerscourt Estate, Wicklow
Powerscourt Estate members enjoy unlimited entry to Powerscourt Gardens, Waterfall and River Walk with playground during normal opening hours, as well as 10% discount in Powerscourt Garden Pavilion when you present your annual membership card.
Cost: Family membership pass for the year at Powerscourt costs €175 for 2 adults and up to 4 children
Compared to a normal family ticket? A family ticket for 2 adults + 3 kids to visit both the Gardens and Waterfall would cost €42.
Where to buy: You can buy it online on their website at www.powerscourt.com.
Nore Valley Park, Kilkenny
You can buy a season family pass* for Nore Valley Pet Farm allowing unlimited entry to the farm all season long (March – October). This is excellent value for money as a season pass only costs the equivalent of three normal entries to the farm.
*Season passes are for farm entry only, extra activities on site like tractor and trailer rides, go-karts, 3D maze, and crazy golf are not included. For seasonal events, check with the Farm if any extra fees apply.
Sample cost: 2 adults + 2 kids costs €90
Compared to a normal family ticket? A family ticket for 2 adults + 2 kids to visit for the day will cost €30
Where to buy: on their website www.norevalleypark.com