Finding things to do with young children can be tough going, especially if you’re new to an area or it’s your first child! So we have come up with a few ideas of things to do with preschoolers in Cavan.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
The nice thing about when you have a toddler and are not tied to school times is you have a bit more flexibility to visit places during the day and at less busy times. If you’re looking for ideas for things to do with preschoolers in Cavan, we’ve got a few suggestions for you:
Things To Do With Preschoolers In Cavan
Soft Play Centres in Cavan
Stop by a play centre, many of them have dedicated soft play areas for preschoolers, this is a great way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy!
- Kool Kids in Cavan Town has baby and toddler play zones.
- The Play Centre in Kingscourt has toddler and baby areas.
You Might Also Enjoy Top 10 Things To Do In Cavan With Kids
Visit Cavan Libraries
The junior section of the Library is also a fun way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books. Your preschooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow.
You Might Also Enjoy Free Things To Do In Cavan With Kids
Parent Toddler Swimming in Cavan
Go swimming! There are a few Swimming Pools which have special times for parent and toddler sessions so you can relax knowing there won’t be older children jumping and playing around you.
Music and Other Fun Classes
Maybe you have a budding musician? Music is great for child development and Cavan Academy of Music run classes for babies and pre-schoolers in Cavan town.
Playgrounds in Cavan
Playgrounds are always a big hit with toddlers and most playgrounds around Cavan have swings and slides as well as play frames for toddlers. It’s also a perfect way for you to get our for some fresh air and hopefully meet other parents with young kids. All the running usually tires them out so they’ll be ready for a nap when you get home.
You May Also Enjoy – The Best Playgrounds In Ireland Recommended by Parents
Parent and Toddler Groups
If you’d like to meet other parents in your area, then Parent and Toddler/Baby groups are the way to go. They meet weekly in most towns around Cavan.
Attractions in Cavan
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
Some places to visit in Cavan with preschoolers:
- Bear Essentials, in Bawnboy, is a handmade teddy bear gift shop, you can adopt an original handmade mohair bear or take part in a workshop and make your own. Then enjoy exploring the garden, greenhouses and playground too. They run family events and workshops throughout the year, so keep an eye on what’s on before you visit.
- Dun a Ri Forest Park near Kingscourt has four signposted walks, ranging from 1km to 2km in length. Take a picnic, relax on the grass overlooking the river, or enjoy seeing the ducks at the pond. NB you’ll need €5.00 for the car park (coins only)
- Erica’s Fairy Forest in Cootehill was created by her parents Natasha and Ciaran to honour five-year-old Erica’s memory and her unshakable belief in fairies and magical kingdoms. Bring your letters and pop them in the Fairy Post Box – you never know, you may get a reply! The Fairy Forest is free to visit from sunrise to sunset.
- The family-run Killinkere Visitor & Pet Farm is a real working farm in the traditional way – in other words, a small mixed farming including the animals that would have been farmed and used in the area for hundreds of years. On the farm they keep about 20 other species of animals not normally found on a small farm such as llamas, miniature horses, chin chulas, guinea pigs, deer, rare birds and fowl.
You might also enjoy All Aboard! Steam Trains and Fun Train Rides in Ireland
Events for Preschoolers in Cavan
Keep an eye on our events pages as there are regular workshops and events for younger children.
You May Also Enjoy Our Pick of What’s On This Month
Go For A Walk (or A Toddle!)
In Cavan there are nice places for woodland or park walks, it’s fun for your preschooler to run, collect leaves, stones and play hide and seek.
You might also enjoy reading our ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.
If you have other suggestions for fun things to do with preschoolers in Cavan, please let us know in the comments box below.