Finding things to do with young children can be tough going, especially if you’re new to an area or it’s your first child! So we have put together some suggestions of Things To Do With Preschoolers in Cork.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
The nice thing about when you have a toddler and are not tied to school times is you have a bit more flexibility to visit places during the day and at less busy times. If you’re looking for ideas for things to do with preschoolers in Cork, we’ve got a few suggestions for you:
Things To Do With Preschoolers In Cork
Soft Play Centres in Cork
Visit one of the play centres in Cork, with dedicated soft play areas for preschoolers, this is a great way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy!
- Chuckies on Sarsfield Road, Wilton has play spaces for toddlers as well as tiny tots. They run Parent and Toddler mornings.
- Monkey Maze in Glanmire has a soft play area for younger kids and toddlers 1-4 years of age
- The Treehouse in Skibbereen is an indoor play centre with cafe.
Storytime in Cork Libraries
Visit one of the many great Libraries in Cork. The majority of libraries host a weekly story time and/or a parent and toddler group. The junior section of the Library is a great way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books, also your preschooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow. Check out your local library to see upcoming events and news.
Parent Toddler Swimming in Cork
Go swimming! There are many swimming pools across Cork that have dedicated times for Parent and Toddler swims and/or specific swimming areas for smaller children.
Music and Other Fun Classes
Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, play labs, swimming or football! Check out preschool classes, it’s a great way to meet people and make friends too.
Gymboree offer music play classes for toddlers across Cork.
Playgrounds in Cork
Visit the playground! Here are playgrounds in Cork. Several of the playgrounds in Cork have been revamped in recent years and the majority of them now have dedicated sections for smaller children.
You May Also Enjoy – The Best Playgrounds In Ireland Recommended by Parents
Parent and Toddler Groups
Join a local Parent and Toddler Group. There are many local groups throughout Cork city and county that meet weekly. Parent and Toddler groups are a great way for young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents! Weekend groups are also becoming more popular for parents who work full time.
Attractions in Cork
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
Some of the places my own preschoolers love to visit are:
- Fota House and Gardens offers fun tours and trails for families to take, their gardens are fabulous for kids to explore.
- The Nano Nagle Place, an unexpected oasis in the centre of bustling Cork City. The complex houses a heritage centre, gardens, a café, and shop.
- Fota Wildlife Park is a favourite of ours, there’s always great excitement when we spot different animals.
- Kids will have a great time checking out the miniaturised old West Cork Railway Line as it was in the 1940’s at Model Railway Village, children under 2 go free.
- Take a farm tour, meet animals and enjoy activities indoors and out at Leahys Open Farm in Midleton.
- You can see a Hobbit House and enjoy the Fairy Trail at Glenview Gardens in West Cork.
You May Also Enjoy – Our Pick of What’s On This Month
Events for Preschoolers in Cork
Keep an eye on our events pages as there are regular workshops and events for younger children in the city’s galleries, museums, parks and more.
Go For A Walk (Or A Toddle!)
Going for a walk (or a toddle) to parklands or woods or the beach is a great opportunity for preschoolers to run, collect leaves, stones, etc. and play hide and seek. There’s a nice walk you can take in Glengariff Nature Reserve. Check out our Family Walks in Cork and best outdoor spots for families in Cork for more inspiration.
You might also enjoy reading our ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.