Are you parent to a toddler? Whether you live in Monaghan or are just visiting, finding things to do with children before they start school can be difficult, or if you are new to an area. So we have put together some suggestions of Things To Do with Preschoolers in Monaghan.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
The nice thing about when you have a toddler and are not tied to school times is you have a bit more flexibility to visit places during the day and at less busy times. If you’re looking for ideas for things to do with preschoolers in Monaghan, we’ve got a few suggestions for you:
Things To Do With Preschoolers In Monaghan
Soft Play Centres in Monaghan
Many play centres offer dedicated soft play areas for preschoolers, this is a great way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy!
- GR8 Entertainment in Castleblayney has 3 separate soft play areas, one for under 1s, one for 2- 4yr olds, and one for older children.
- It’s not far to Kool Kids in Corlurgan Business Park, Cavan, which has baby and toddler zones.
You Might Also Enjoy Top 10 Things To Do In Monaghan With Kids
Visit Monaghan Libraries
Visit one of the many great libraries in Monaghan. Carrickmacross Library has toddler story time and other family friendly events while Monaghan Town Library also runs family storytelling events. You can also find out other Monaghan Libraries upcoming events and news here.
The junior section of the Library is also a fun way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books. Your preschooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow.
You Might Also Enjoy Free Things To Do in Monaghan With Kids
Parent Toddler Swimming in Monaghan
Go swimming! Coral Leisure in Monaghan Town has a kids pool and offers toddler swim lessons. Hillgrove Hotel and Spa has a kids pool and offers Children’s hours at the pool.
Music and Other Fun Classes
Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, play labs, swimming or football! Check out preschool classes, it’s a great way to meet people and make friends too. Gymboree runs music play classes for toddlers in Monaghan.
Playgrounds in Monaghan
Visit the playground! Several of the playgrounds in Monaghan have dedicated sections for smaller children. Why not pick a different playground that you don’t usually visit to go to each week or month?
- Rossmore Forest Park has an amazing playground full of cool equipment.
- Lough Mucknow Leisure Park has a playground with wooden boat and tree house as well as ziplines and swings. You can feed the ducks at the lake.
You May Also Enjoy – The Best Playgrounds In Ireland Recommended by Parents
Parent and Toddler Groups
Join a local Parent and Toddler Group. There are many local groups throughout Monaghan that meet weekly. Parent and Toddler groups are a lovely way for young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents.
Attractions in Monaghan
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
Some places to visit in or near Monaghan with preschoolers:
- Busy Bee Ceramics in Glaslough offers classes & Pottery Parties available for all ages, they can take a small group of 4 toddlers with their parents at one time.
- Sam More Open Farm in Threemilehouse is open all year round from 10am to 7pm. As well as cows, sheep and horses, make sure to check out their alpacas, miniature horse and pot belly pigs. There is also an old blacksmith’s forge, a nature walk where kids can feed the ducks, a fairy fort and lane and a picnic area.
- Erica’s Fairy Forest in Cootehill, Cavan was created by her parents Natasha and Ciaran to honour Erica’s memory and her unshakable belief in fairies and magical kingdoms.
- Hollywood Forest Park. This small, lakeside park at Scotstown has the following facilities: nature walks, children’s playground, picnic areas etc.
You might also enjoy All Aboard! Steam Trains and Fun Train Rides in Ireland
Events for Preschoolers in Monaghan
Keep an eye on our events pages as there are regular workshops and events for younger children.
You May Also Enjoy Our Pick of What’s On This Month
Go For A Walk
There are many lovely places for a walk in Monaghan – perfect for preschoolers to run, collect leaves, stones, etc. and play hide and seek. Here are 3 favourites of ours:
- Rossmore Forest Park, located 3.5km south west of Monaghan Town on the R189 to Newbliss, has several forest walks, a Nature Trail and a Yew walk. It has a car park, picnic sites, forest and lakeside walks, nature trails and viewing points. €5 per car on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Lough Muckno Leisure Park in Castleblayney is a great place to take the family walks. It has walking trails as well as Nature Walks and Picnic area. It is open all year around and no admission fee.
- Castle Leslie in Glaslough is another great place to breathe in fresh country air and take in the stunning scenery as you stroll around in the woods or by the lakes. There are a whole host of exceptional walks, from short jaunts to long leisurely strolls on the Estate.
You might also enjoy reading our ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.
If you have other suggestions for fun things to do with preschoolers in Monaghan, please let us know in the comments box below.