Childhood Asthma can be distressing for both the child and their parents. Increasingly I have parents bringing their children to me as they are unhappy with the regular use of antibiotics, inhalers and steroids – often with only a minor reduction in their child’s symptoms. As a practising homeopath, I would like to share some Homeopathic remedies to help ease the symptoms of childhood asthma.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free? Please share this with your family & friends if you liked it!
It is a dilemma. On one hand nobody wants to see their child suffer the distress of not being able to breath properly or coughing their way through their early years. Often these children also suffer with associated symptoms such as tonsillitis, ear infections, constant runny nose etc. and end up repeatedly on antibiotics.
What is Asthma?
Asthma is a chronic inflammatory condition of the airways that causes periodic attacks of coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and chest tightness.
Homeopathy and Childhood Asthma:
Homeopathy can help both in the acute attack and help to prevent recurrence of childhood asthma.
The purpose of a homeopathic remedy is to help restore balance. When we are in balance we do not suffer symptoms. The body is always trying to recover and maintain balance. The remedy helps it to get there and then the immune system takes over and remedies are no longer needed!
Remedies that may help in an acute phase of childhood asthma:
These remedies may be of help if your child shows the type of symptoms listed underneath each one.
- Great rattling in the chest, with shortness of breath
- Asthma where there is difficulty in coughing up phlegm
- The child must sit up to cough
- Asthma made worse from lying down
- Fear of suffocation
- Extreme restlessness
- Attacks of asthma are worse during or after midnight
- Coldness of breath
- Desperate cases of asthma with blue & cold skin
- Air hunger with desire to be fanned
- Asthma is better for belching
- Asthma is worse for sitting or lying down
- Loses breath with cough
- Difficult expiration
- Cough is rattling and asthmatic
- Gags when coughing
- Chest seems full of phlegm but it does not yield to coughing
- Asthma awakening the child at night, especially worse in the morning around 3 – 4 am
- Asthma is better for rocking
- The only relief is found from bending over double
- Asthma that occurs in damp weather or change of seasons
- It is accompanied by a loose cough producing thick white or greenish mucous
- Asthma is better from lying on the back
- Difficult, laboured breathing which is worse in the evening/night
- Respiration is difficult after walking fast or running
- Child is tearful, whiney and clingy
- Dryness of all air passages
- Dry, barking, asthmatic cough
- Respiration is short, panting
- Cough is better for warm drinks
- Asthmatic cough worse for cold air
It is important to seek a professional homeopath’s opinion before embarking on homeopathic treatment for childhood asthma or any other illness. Your homeopath will work to discern what constitutional remedy will best help restore balance to correct susceptibility to recurring asthmatic attacks.
Have you tried any of these homeopathic remedies for the easing of childhood asthma symptoms? Please let us know in the comments box below.