Healthy Snack Ideas and Tips for Kids
What Kind of Snack is Required?
Children should eat between 2 and 3 snacks a day to help keep energy levels up. Offering healthy snacks is important, not only nutritionally but also to help your children as they grow.
Kids look for snacks for a variety of reasons so here’s some things to consider before deciding what to offer them:
- Length of time to their next meal and length of time since their last meal
- They may actually be thirsty so is a drink of milk or water what they need?
- Will a light snack like a piece of fruit keep them satisfied until mealtime?
- If they are hungry after school or physical activity, you may need to give them a more filling snack
Healthy ‘go to’ Snack ideas
Having a range of healthy snacks to offer when hunger strikes is the best way to ensure you are offering good choices. So next time you go shopping, include these in your basket so you are not caught out when the kids proclaim they are starving!
Lighter snack options can include:
- Chopped raw vegetables
- Glass of milk or water
- Small portion of nuts or seeds
- A kids-sized yogurt
- 1-2 crackers, oatcakes, rice cakes or bread sticks
- Small portion of air popped pop corn
For more filling healthy snacks try:
- Small portion of cheese and crackers
- Sliced apple or pear with nut butter
- Hummus with raw vegetables for dipping
- Kids-sized yogurt with fruit
- Mashed banana and wholemeal toast
- Boiled egg with a slice of wholemeal toast
- Homemade soup
- Small bowl of cereal with milk
- Egg muffin
- Slice of cooked meat
- Small wholemeal pitta with cheese or cooked meat or dip
- Slice of wholemeal bread toasted
- Pizza soldiers
- Wholemeal scone with a little butter
- Air popped popcorn with grated parmesan
- Baked oat bar
For more ideas and recipes on healthy snacks check out MakeaStart.ie
Healthy Muffin Recipes
Next time you make a batch of muffins consider freezing some so you have a handy, healthy snack ready when the kids are looking for a pick me up. Here are a couple of healthy muffin recipes ideal for a quick snack between meals or as an after-dinner treat.