If your child loves brick flicks and you think they would find it fun to make their own LEGO movie, here are nifty apps for making the best stop motion lego movies. Who knows, you may have the next brick blockbuster on your hands… “everything is awesome”!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Making Stop Motion Lego Movies
Just in case you aren’t familiar with the term, brick flicks are stop-motion animation movies that are made using LEGO® bricks or similar construction toys. If your child is interested in making a brick flick for themselves, here are some different apps that they could use:
I Can Animate
Create stunning and exciting animation movies quickly and easily. With I Can Animate you can bring the art of creating stop-frame animations to your iOS devices and then share them for all to see.
I Can Animate has some really great features:
- Capture frames using either camera on your iOS device
- Displays onion skinning, so you can easily see the differences between frames you are capturing.
- Preview captured frames in the scrollable timeline.
- Adjust exposure, white balance and focus automatically or manually lock the settings.
- Duplicate & Reorder frames
- Review last five frames and preview whole project
- Undo support
- Capture automatically using the inbuilt time lapse feature
- Standard & Widescreen display
- Change playback speed
- Connect a bluetooth keyboard and capture frames without returning to or tapping the device (iOS7+)
- Share movies.
You May Also Enjoy How to Make a Stop Motion Movie
Stop Motion Maker
Stop Motion Maker available for Android has functions such as:
- Shooting mode with manual / automatic shooting
- onion skin
- export into avi or motion-jpeg format.
You can also frame edit and import image files in jpeg, png format.
Want to create movies like Wallace and Gromit or those groovy Lego shorts on YouTube? Then this is one app you might like to try.
Use Stop Motion Studio to create fun stop action movies with the following features:
- Overlay mode to show you the differences between frames for precise control
- Grid mode to position animated objects more easily
- Ability to use the volume button on your device to capture images
- Integrated movie editor with frame-by-frame preview at different speeds
- Cut, copy, paste, delete and insert frames at any position
- Automatically capture frames with an adjustable time interval feature
- Zoom in and out on the timeline view so you never get lost, even if you have hundreds of frames
- Fade your movie in or out for a professional look
It also has parental controls to manage access which is handy.
Here are some of the features the free app offers
- Capture shots using your camera
- Import pre-recorded videos to speed them up or slow them down
- Auto and manual modes for controlling exposure, focus, ISO and white balance
- Use any song from your library as the sound track of your video
- Speed up your time lapse with millisecond precision up to 240x
- Camera zoom includes even a zoom ramping over time
- More than 50 filters, including the amazing Tilt-Shift effect
- Share directly to Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo and many others
- Tons of post-capture options including trimming, adding timestamp, square mode, backwards playback and more
- Stop motion with onion skin and touch-less photo snaps
- Schedule the capture to start and stop automatically
Cost: Free or the Pro version is €2.99 / £2.39 / $2.99 which gives even more features
Finally, keep an eye out on the Apple Store for the LEGO Movie Maker App, it’s currently not listed at time of writing, but if it does become available again, then this fun (and free) kid-friendly app is ideal for creating a custom stop-motion movie.
You May Also Enjoy The Handiest Apps for Stop Motion Animation