Limerick is known as a riverside city as we have no beaches ourselves in County Limerick, but there are some beaches in neighbouring counties which are not far from us. Spending time at the beach on a nice sunny summer day, what better idea than this when you want to spend quality time with your family?
Outdoor Swimming in Limerick
The only places for swimming with lifeguard coverage in Limerick are at Glin Pier and Kilteery Pier (west of Foynes on N69), both in the lower Shannon Estuary. Check here for details of Lifeguard coverage.
Also close by is Ballycuggeran, Killaloe.
The following are some of the good beaches not far from County Limerick:
Beaches in County Clare
1. Kilkee, White Strand (10kms NE Kilkee via N67)
2. Spanish Point (Milltown Malbay)
3. Lahinch (26kms NW Ennis via N85)
4. Kilrush Creek Marina (Blue Flag Marina)
5. Fanore (12 km W Ballyvaughan via R477)
Beaches in County Kerry
1. Derrynane (1km W Caherdaniel)
2. Ballinskelligs (10kms W Waterville)
3. Kells (12kms NE Cahersiveen via N70)
4. Rossbeigh (Glenbeigh)
5. Inch (24kms E Dingle via N86 and R561)
6. Ventry (6kms W Dingle via R559)
7. Maherabeg (Castlegregory)
8. Banna (15kms NW Tralee on R551)
9. Ballyheigue (19kms NW Tralee via R551)
10. Ballybunion (15kms NW Listowel via R553)
Beaches in County Cork
1. Youghal – Front Strand and Claycastle
2. Garryvoe (6kms S Castlemartyr R632)
3. Garrylucas (Old Head of Kinsale)
4. Inchydoney (6kms S Clonakilty)
5. Owenahincha (8kms SE Roscarbery)
6. The Warren
7. Tragumna (Skibbereen)
8. Barley Cove (5kms W Crookhaven)
9. Kinsale Yacht Club (Blue Flag Marina)
Have fun at the beach but stay sunsafe!
Do you have a favourite beach to head to with the family? Tell us about it in the comments below.