A treasure hunt is a super fun, super easy and cost effective way to keep kids entertained. You can hold your treasure hunt both indoors or outdoors. Here is our guide on how to set up a treasure hunt for kids.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
You can make a fun treasure hunt at home or in the garden for your child with just a few simple things to prepare.
You can also adapt this to different occasions, for example, birthday treasure hunt, Easter hunt and so on.
Our downloadable free Mykidstime indoor treasure hunt for kids has a selection of things to do, things to find and fun activities to help pass the time!
How To Set Up A Kids Treasure Hunt
Materials For The Kids Treasure Hunt
- Treasure, of course!! (a treat, coins, small gift, sweets)
- Pens, pencils or markers
- You could supply magnifying glasses to each child to help in their search!
Setting Up Your Kids Treasure Hunt
- You can set up a treasure hunt in the house, school creche, a back garden, or in a public park. You just need to do a little planning.
- Decide what your treasure is going to be. It could be a small gift, a yummy treat, coins – just make sure you have as many prizes as you have kids, or a big enough prize for them to share.
- Decide where to hide the treasure.
- Next up are the clues. Choose 5 – 8 places to hide the clues. Each clue will direct them to the next clue, with the final one sending them to the hidden treasure.
- Now you know where you are going to hide the clues you can write simple clues or for younger children you could draw a picture, cut out a picture from a magazine, print the image or take a picture of where the next clue is hidden. For example, if the next clue is in the fridge, you might give them an image of a milk carton.
- Hide the treasure. Hide the clues. Now let’s get going!
You Might Also Enjoy Downloadable FREE Activity Treasure Hunt For Kids
Getting Your Kids Treasure Hunt Started
- Tell your kids that their “mission” is to find the hidden treasure by following a series of clues.
- Give the children the first clue. Explain that they must share the treasure and they must work together to find it.
- If they get stuck, they can ask if they need a hint.
- Have some back up “treasure” just in case there’s a fall out over who won!
You Might Also Enjoy 10 Mega Fun Scavenger Hunt Ideas For Kids
Over to you now. Have you had fun with a Kids Treasure Hunt at home? Tell us about it in the comments below.