Family Day Out in Alnwick
We had a really great day out in Alnwick and surrounding areas with a variety of things to do near the town. In fact, if you haven’t visited Northumberland before, I’d really recommend it, there’s plenty of amazing places for families to visit.
Alnwick is a market town in the heart of Northumberland, situated about half way between Berwick-Upon-Tweed and Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. Famous for its Castle and Garden, in the centre of the originally walled town you will find a market place, with a market cross, and outside the walls, an old Victorian-era railway station, home to Barter Books, but more of that to come.
The iconic Alnwick Castle was a must-see on our visit, having featured as Hogwarts in the first two Harry Potter films. It’s over 950 years old, and is the seat of The 12th Duke of Northumberland, still serving as home to the Percy family.
The second largest inhabited castle in the UK, Alnwick Castle plenty of history to discover, and the origins of the Castle date back to the Norman period. Because it is still inhabited, you only get access to selected State Rooms in the Castle but it’s still worth the visit and the guided tour, although we found the rest of the attraction, i.e. its ramparts, and activities and events taking place for kids around the walls and courtyard, much more interesting.
Book your tickets online and you’ll even get to visit for the rest of the year, as they have a Pay for the Day, Visit for the Year offer.
Things To Do at Alnwick Castle
As well as special events and performances, there are many fun things to do at Alnwick Castle including:
- Visit a Replica Napoleonic Cannon, and the Castle’s Museums including Constable’s Tower
- Stop by the Artisans Courtyard to enjoy medieval themed activities and meet townsfolk from the 14th Century
- Take the Dragon Quest! Are you brave enough to enter the Dragon’s Lair? This can be a scary for little ones but is great for families with children aged between 5 and 12 years old
- Broomstick Training – learn to fly a broomstick in the spot where Harry Potter first took flight! Sessions are free with your entry ticket, but require a free time-slot ticket, NB tickets are given out on a first-come, first-served basis, with a limited number of spaces available for each lesson.
- Have a go at some Archery
- Enjoy a 30 minute stroll outside the castle, along ‘Capability’ Brown Walk, enjoying views of Alnwick Castle and some of the features of the stunning Capability Brown designed landscape