Do you like to cook with your child or is the impending mess just too much to put you off?! Here’s the 20 best things about cooking with kids.
1. Cooking together is time spent bonding.
2. Your children will feel responsibility for the task at hand, be it adding an ingredient or mixing the dough
3. It’s a chance to catch up on what’s going on in their lives. They will feel relaxed in their baking activities and the stories may, just like the cake mixture, pour out.
4. Cooking together will make kids curious about where food comes from and it’s a chance to teach them about nutritious food and why our bodies need them.
5. It’s not just fun and tasty, it’s also educational. Kids get to practice their reading, measuring and weighing, and telling the time.
You may also like 10 Tips for Stress Free Cooking with Kids
6. Family meals will create mindful eating habits where kids can learn to listen to their bodies. When we eat slowly and without distractions, we are more aware of our hunger levels and are less likely to overeat.
7. A planned daily, weekly, or even monthly meal can improve a family’s functionality as well as its trust between family members.
8. Children will learn about sharing and working together to make an end result – such as dinner.
9. Cooking together will encourage them to try new foods. Knowing that they helped cook this new food will make them curious to taste it and hopefully they will like it and want to eat it again.
You may also like 20 Delicious Easy Recipes for Kids to Make
11. You are creating memories with your kids. They will fondly remember licking the batter off the wooden spoon. It will be messy and chaotic at times, but a clean kitchen is the sign of a boring day.
12. Putting younger kids in charge of stirring the mixture, fetching ingredients, or icing simple baked goodies helps them be part of the fun from an early age.
13. The kitchen is the heart of the home, a place to share love, laughter and recipes.
14. You are teaching your kids an important life skill.
You may also like 12 Uselful Kids Cooking Skills Even Your Preschooler Can Master
15. Cooking together is a chance to pass on some family traditions.
16. The sense of achievement that baking creates, is a great way to get the kids excited about good, healthy food and, in turn, good eating habits.
17. You may have a future chef on your hands – most successful chefs start cooking from a young age.
18. It will help your child to develop a mature palate and a taste for fresh ingredients. The earlier kids become used to nutritious foods, the less likely they will acquire a taste for processed foods.
19. Cooking with the kids is a good opportunity to practice language skills by describing what you are doing and asking and answering questions.
20. And finally, because happiness is ….. homemade!
Do you enjoy cooking with the kids? Let us know your tips in the comments below.