Are you bored cooking the same family dinners over and over? It is easy to get stuck in a rut with family dinners. But help is at hand – Michelle & I have taken to Instagram for our monthly family dinner challenge where we are both given the same 4 or 5 basic ingredients and we have to create a wonderful family dinner which is then voted on by you! This month it was a tin of butter beans, a leek, vegetable stock cube and an onion. Here’s my Butterbean, Chorizo and Leek Gratin:
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
This recipe serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g chorizo, chopped or sliced
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 tin of butter beans, drained
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 50g parmesan or padano cheese, grated
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Fry the chorizo in the oil for a few minutes until nice and crisp then set aside, keeping the oil in the pan.
- Add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes over a medium heat, then add the leek and the garlic; cook for 5 mins over a low heat until soft. I usually put the lid on to help steam the leeks.
- Add the beans and stock.
- Season, then let it cook bubbling for 5 mins.
- Put the butterbean and leek mixture into an ovenproof dish, stir in the chorizo and scatter over the crumbs and top with grated cheese. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden.
- Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.
Tip: Blitz slightly stale bread to make the breadcrumbs
Verdict: The family all liked this recipe and I’ll definitely be making it again.
You may also enjoy these recipes from our Family Dinner Challenge:
- Jill’s Cheesy Beef Pasta Bake
- Michelle’s Easy Homemade Meatballs Recipe
- Jill’s One Pot Mexican Chicken Rice
- Michelle’s Tasty Homemade Chicken Curry
Over to you now. Have you tried my butterbean, chorizo and leek gratin recipe? Please share your thoughts, additions or improvements with us in the comments box below.