The beauty of making your own pizzas at home is everyone can get what they want. If someone in the family doesn’t want a tomato sauce you can easily create a Pizza Bianca or White Pizza.
- 250g tub of ricotta cheese
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Herbs of choice (usually basil or orgeano)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, salt and pepper
- Spread over prepared base
- Add herbs of your choice
- Add toppings
- Spoon over olive oil
- Bake until crisp and cheese has melted
Now you have the basics right, anything goes when it comes to toppings! Of course you can go with the usual pepperoni, ham and pineapple, ham and mushroom, olives and mozzarella classics but why not try some more unusual toppings too?
Here are a few pizza topping combos that we particularly like.
- Goats cheese, mozzarella, red onion and cooked peppers or beetroot
- Black pudding, red onion, spinach and an egg cracked on top before cooking
- Artichoke pieces (marinated in oil is best), sun dried tomatoes, cured ham and rocket
- Blue cheese, fresh figs and asparagus or cured ham
- Leftover roast beef or hot smoked salmon and horseradish sauce
- Mushrooms roasted in garlic butter
- S’mores pizza with chocolate spread and marshmallows
Hopefully we have inspired you to try out some more unusual toppings and family pizza nights are more exciting then ever!