Family pizza night is a firm favourite in most households. It can be made even more enjoyable when you make your own. Follow our simple homemade pizza recipe for the perfect base every time. Be sure to get the kids involved too. Everyone can create their very own custom toppings ensuring there are no arguments over extras they don’t enjoy!
And for the perfect bake, check out the range of pizza ovens from our partners Calor Gas.
Homemade Pizza Recipe Ideas
The Perfect Pizza Base Recipe
Ingredients For the Dough:
- 400g/14oz strong plain flour
- 100g/3½oz semolina flour (available from health food shops and good supermarkets)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 dessert spoon caster sugar
- 1 x 7g packet of dried yeast
- 325ml/11floz lukewarm water
- Some semolina for sprinkling
For the best method, follow the instructions here for our Neopolitian Pizza Recipe.
The Perfect Tomato Pizza Sauce
I like to use a simple uncooked tomato sauce for my pizza.
- 1 x 400g tin or jar of sieved tomatoes
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 25g/1oz Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Fresh basil or dried oregano
- Salt and pepper & a pinch of sugar
- Mix the salt, pepper and sugar with the tomatoes
- Spoon the sieved tomato onto the prepared base
- Add your favourite toppings
- Add your herbs
- Add the parmesan
- Spoon over the olive oil
- Return pizza to the oven and bake
The beauty of making your own pizzas at home is everyone can get what they want. If someone in the family doesn’t want a tomato sauce you can easily create a Pizza Bianca or White Pizza.
- 250g tub of ricotta cheese
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Herbs of choice (usually basil or orgeano)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, salt and pepper
- Spread over prepared base
- Add herbs of your choice
- Add toppings
- Spoon over olive oil
- Bake until crisp and cheese has melted
Tasty Toppings for Custom Pizzas
Now you have the basics right, anything goes when it comes to toppings! Of course you can go with the usual pepperoni, ham and pineapple, ham and mushroom, olives and mozzarella classics but why not try some more unusual toppings too?
Here are a few pizza topping combos that we particularly like.
- Goats cheese, mozzarella, red onion and cooked peppers or beetroot
- Black pudding, red onion, spinach and an egg cracked on top before cooking
- Artichoke pieces (marinated in oil is best), sun dried tomatoes, cured ham and rocket
- Blue cheese, fresh figs and asparagus or cured ham
- Leftover roast beef or hot smoked salmon and horseradish sauce
- Mushrooms roasted in garlic butter
- S’mores pizza with chocolate spread and marshmallows
Hopefully we have inspired you to try out some more unusual toppings and family pizza nights are more exciting then ever!