13. Talk about the books they’ve read or their favourite author. Encourage their interest by talking about the stories they liked or what they think of the author.
14. Make books appealing. Use ploys, try telling them a particular book is unsuitable, they’ll knock you over to get their hands on it.
15. Buy books with larger print. Larger print books and illustrations are not as daunting.
16. Movie books. If you know a particular movie is coming out try to read the book in advance
17. Choose well written books by established authors. A good starting point is award winners.
18. Pick simpler books that they can manage easily. They get great satisfaction from finishing a book.
19. Do not put pressure on them. You wouldn’t like someone constantly asking you what you’re reading or how you’re getting on with a particular book.
20. Be encouraging and notice small improvements.