Has your child turned out to be a sport-mad kid? Are they a genius on the soccer/rugby/GAA field or have you got a future Michael Phelps in the swimming lanes? Here are 21 Reasons You Know You’re Parent to a Sporty Child (aka Soccer Mom):
Sign up for our free newsletter, find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest.
- You spend your days ferrying them around to practice, matches, competitions…
- You spend your evenings and weekend in cold and freezing weather on the sideline
- You spend any spare money on footballs, boots, equipment…
- You know the rules of the game or sport inside out, in fact, you could write a book about them
- Your car constantly smells of wet grass, wet clothes, wet wet…
- You have visited parts of the country that you never even knew existed
- Your weekend going-out outfits are no longer dresses and heels, but macs and galoshes!
- You find yourself making 300 sandwiches after a match
- You’re up at 4am regularly (and it’s not because you’re coming in from the disco…) to take your child to a gala or competition or match
- You can explain what “offside” or “on the full” or “square ball” means in 30 words or less
- You are a regular visitor now to A&E with suspected strains, breaks, broken noses…
- You now have a healthy stockpile of thermal underwear
- You find yourself shouting at the referee (* blush *) as your kids look like they want to sink into the ground with embarrassment
- You now spend more time in your car than you do in your own house
- Your phone calendar/wall calendar/diary has more match or car pool dates than social dates
- Your washing machine is on full time duty washing team strips / sports gear
- You find yourself turning to the sports fixtures in the local paper first
- You’ve long since given up on ever owning a clean car again
- You never seem to have hot water any more with all the post training and post match showers
- You never before knew that one child could own so many pairs of trainers/boots/studs/*** substitute other equipment ***
- There’s a constant hum of balls being kicked or hit up against your wall outside
Recommended Reading: An Honest Coach Letter to Parents and Is This the Best Thing Ever for a Soccer Mom?
Over to you now! Any other essentials for being parent to a sports mad kid? Tell us in the comments below.