The long Summer school holidays, with lazy lie-ins and no school lunches, are great for a while, but it’s not long before you have run out of things to do with the kids, and the holidays can then seem never-ending! Be prepared and arm yourself with activities – here’s over 1300 of the Best of Summer Fun Ideas for Kids – to ensure you all have the summer to remember, for all the right reasons!
Make a Bucket List
First things, first! Every kid should make a bucket list for their summer holidays – their list of fun activities that they would really like to do over their long vacation. Encourage a mix of day trips, and home activities, and perhaps a little learning (like a reading challenge).
If you are stuck for ideas, here are 100 of the sparkliest bucket list ideas for kids.
The most amazing perk of the season is being able to open your doors (most of the time, anyhow) and shoo the kids outside for some much-needed fresh air, vitamin D and fun in the great outdoors. From childhood games to water fun, there’s plenty here to keep them busy outside the whole summer long!
- 7 Fun Outdoor Games whole Family will Love
- 20 Great Childhood Games
- 10 Wicked Water Games for Kids
- 27 Innovative & Fun Water Play Ideas for Kids
- 11 of the Best Outdoor Activities to Ensure Kids Stay Fit
- 50 Fun Outdoor Activities for Kids
- 20 of the Best Outdoor Activities for Toddlers
- 23 Sensational Sand Play Ideas Kids will Love
- 19 Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Summer Science Experiments for Kids
- 10 Mega Scavenger Hunt Ideas
- 10 Best Nature Activities for Kids in Your Own Garden
- 10 Great Garden Chores for Kids They will Enjoy
- Get Active with these Fun Obstacle Course Ideas for Kids
And a mix of indoors and outdoors
- 20 Things To Do This Summer with Your Child
- 50 Summer Activities for Kids List & Checklist
- 101 Fun Activities for Kids that Don’t Involve Screen-time
- 10 Fantastic Things to do with Kids in Summer
- Super Summer Suggestions To Keep Boredom at Bay
Had a trip to beach, and gathered some cool shells and stones? The great thing about summertime art and crafts is the chance to move all the art and craft mess outdoors! From cardboard box ideas, to shell and garden crafts, we have got heaps of fun summer craft ideas, to while away some time.
- 8 Great Beach Craft Ideas for Kids
- 8 Stunning Shell Crafts for Kids
- How to Make A Shell Art Picture in 4 Easy Steps
- 17 Cute Cardboard Box Ideas for Kids
- 15 Simple Summer Crafts for Kids
- 11 Creative Garden Crafts for Kids
- 50 Brilliant Art & Craft Ideas, That are Worth the Mess!
- Make Your Own Paper Ice Lollies
Sometime even summer weather can be challenging, and whether it’s too hot or too wet outside, you may just have to retreat indoors. From ingenious games to subtle ways to stop the summer slide, here are some fun indoor activities that don’t involve screen-time (or barely any!)
- Super Summer Suggestion to Bust Boredom
- Summer Reading Challenge Ideas for Kids
- Best Books for Kids Aged 8-12 yrs & By Age
- 10 Best Kids Books for Activities
- Make a Time Capsule
- 50 Fun Indoor Activities for Kids
- Ingenious Indoor Games for Kids
- 25 of the Best Indoor Games for Kids Aged 8-12 yrs
- Entertaining & Fun Indoor Games for Kids
- Rainy Day Fun
- Make Your Own Home Cinema
- 9 Ways to Prevent the Summer Slide for Kids & 11 Simple Tips to Stop Summer Slide
Much and all as we would like to switch off mobile devices, wifi routers and screens for the duration of the summer holidays, and boot our kids outdoors for adventures, it’s not always possible, and there is a time and place for screens over the long summer holidays.
So whether you would like to try out some new apps, sneak in a bit of learning with our educational apps, or watch a movie together, read on.
- 10 New iOS Apps for Kids Reviewed by Families
- Educational Apps for Preschoolers, Kids & Kids Aged 8-12 yrs
- 11 Free Educational Games Online for Kids
- 15 Best Reading Apps for Kids
- 50 of the Best Family Movies of All Time
- 50 Best Family Movies on Netflix
- 10 Great Kids Movies Every Family Should Own
- Going to the cinema? Here’s the 10 Most Hotly Anticipated Kids Movies of 2016
You may also like Utlimate Technology Guide for Kids and Their Parents
Let them Loose in the Kitchen
Cooking with the kids is a great way to spend some time together, and an ideal learning experience for kids, from reading recipes, to weighing and watching cooking times. We have some fun recipes that the kids will enjoy making this summer.
- Useful Kids Cooking Skills Easily Mastered by Preschoolers
- 10 Simple Ice Cream Recipes Kids will Love to Make & Eat
- 8 Healthy Ice Pop Recipes for Kids
- 20 Easy Delicious Recipes for Kids to Make
- 9 Simple Pasta Recipes for Kids to Prepare in No Time
- 10 Easy Peasy Baking Recipes for Kids
- 8 Easy Cookie Recipes You Can Do with Kids
- Smoothie Recipes Kids Love
- How to Make Family Dinner in 10 Easy Steps
Bored teen hanging about the house. Looking for some ideas that will get them to disengage from their screens, and rejoin the real world?!
Get them reading again, or if they turn their nose up at that, we have some cool craft ideas that even teens will enjoy. Or they could give their bedroom a makeover – the perfect summer holiday activity.
- 10 Cool Crafts Even Your Teen will Want to Do
- 20 Simple Ideas for Summer Jobs for Teens
- 25 Great Books For Teens & 10 of Coolest Classic Books for Teens
- 50 Fun Summer Activities for Teens
- 50 Best Boredom-Busting Activities for Teens
- Inspiring Teen Bedroom Ideas They Will Actually Like
It’s nice to make day trips during the summer holidays, and even perhaps tick off some of the items on your kid’s bucket list. Or why not pack up the tent and head off to make some family camping memories?
- 10 Diverting Days Out with the Kids for Under a Tenner
- Free Family Things to Do This Summer
- 50 Interesting Things to Do at Beach with Kids
- 40 Sure-Fire tips to Make Camping with Kids Fun & Free Camping Checklist
And For Yourselves..
Here are some Brilliant Book Club Picks & if you’d prefer something more creative, here are the Best Colouring Books. And if you find the season all a bit much to handle, here are some tips on how to cope with stress in the summer.
Over you you! Anything else you would add? Let us know in the comments below.