With technology so much a part of all our daily lives now, kids from a very young age quickly learn to play online. We need to embrace that technology, and arm ourselves with knowledge, such that when our kids are online, they are having safe fun and maybe even a bit of education. From fun and educational apps for all ages, to online safety and screen-time awareness, here is our Ultimate Technology Guide for Kids and their Parents.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Best Apps for Kids
As parents ourselves, of children of varing ages, we have regularly searched for apps that will amuse our kids online, and provide some educational value too. From toddlers to teens, we have our favourite app suggestions, most of which have been reviewed by families.
- 10 New iOS Apps for Kids, Reviewed by Families
- 8 Best Bike Games for Kids
- 20 of the Best Educational Apps for Preschooler
- 10 of the Best Educational Apps for Kids aged 8-12 yrs
- 10 Fun Apps for Tweens
- 10 Best Educational Apps for Kids, Reviewed by Families
- 10 of the Best Free Apps to Make your Teen’s Life Easier
- 15 Best Apps for Kids when Travelling
- 10 Free Science Apps for Kids
- 15 of the Best Reading Apps for Kids
- For seasonal fun, we also have Christmas Countdown & Easter Apps
Another app that has provided lots of fun for my son (and me!), has been Little Alchemy – worth a download if haven’t tried, and it’s free too!
And for younger kids, the Very Hungry Caterpillar is now an app, so if your kids enjoyed the story, they will love the app!
Minecraft & Other Popular Games
Sometimes games come along that seem to really appeal to kids, and before long their waking moments are almost consumed with the game, from chatting about it and watching youtube videos of others playing it, to actually playing themselves.
As a parent, it’s worth arming yourself with some knowledge, and even playing along with them, so that you can assure yourself they are safe while playing.
- The Only Minecraft Guide for Parents You Need to Read
- Clash of Clans Parents Guide
- What Parents Should Know About Pokémon Go
- Is Your Child Playing Roblox? A Parents Guide
- Is Your Child Playing Fortnite? A Parents Guide
Stop motion movies are the big thing in our house now, with my 9 year old creating and editing endless Lego stop motion movies, to watching lego stop motion movies online! It’s a fun way to pass the time, so if you or the kids haven’t tried them yet, we recommend giving them a go.
Educational Games Online
We often associate kids online games as apps, but there are a whole host of fun and educational games online, on websites and youtube.
- 11 Free Educational Games Online Kids will Actually Love
- 11 of the Best Cooking Games for Kids Online
- 10 of the Best Learning Games for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- 7 Cool Maths Games Website for Kids
- 10 Top Youtube Channels for Kids to Make Learning Fun
- 9 of the Best Websites to get Informative News for Kids
Coding for Kids
Have your kids expressed an interest in learning to code? Coding may sound boring, and you may not understand it, but for many kids, it can be fun, challenging, engaging and could also open a door to a brighter future!
Wondering where to get started? Here’s Coding for Kids Decoded – the why, when and how to get started.
Take their education one step further and let them learn about the hardware also – here’s Why Building a Computer is Good for your Child.
Screen Time Tips
When it comes to screen-time, parents not only have to contend with television and the many dedicated 24 hour children’s channels, but a multitude of technological devices including smartphones, ipods, tablets, laptops, PCs and e-readers. So where do you draw the line, or do you even draw the line?
Online Safety & Parenting Advice
When your kids are playing or learning online, you will want to be sure they are safe. We’ve got lots of resources on helping you protect your kids online.
Tablets & Mobile Phones
- Kids Online? 5 Tips Parents Should Know
- Putting Parental Controls on Your Child’s Mobile Device
- How To Know If Your Child is Ready for a Smartphone
- Posting Images & How To Stay Safe Online
- What Mobile Phone to Choose
- 5 Tips for Parents on Tablet & Smartphone Safety
- One for the Fridge: 10 Tips for Practical Internet Safety for Kids
- WATCH : Be Share Aware Internet Safety for Kids
- Internet Safety for Kids : Safer Internet Day
- Tips on Cyberbullying for Young People
Apps To Be Aware Of
- Tips for Keeping Your Child Safe Online – Apps and Sites You Should be Aware Of
- A Parents Guide to Snapchat
- A Parents Guide to Instagram
- A Parents Guide to Fling App
- A Parents Guide to Social Media Sites Popular with Kids
Careers in Technology
With technology so much intertwined in our lives now, it’s inevitable that this will continue and grow into the future. Get your child involved with technology from a young age, with activities like coding classes, summer camps, and online play etc. And encourage them to consider a career in technology.
Ireland alone is projected to face a shortage of technology professionals within a few years. And the numbers are worse when look at females in technology, with only 1 in 5 girls considering a career in technology.
In the US, where women hold more degrees than men and make up 58% of the professional workforce, their representation in technology is shockingly low at less than 25% (NCWIT).
- Kids & Technology (And Why They Matter)
- Girls in Tech : Tips for Encouraging Your Daughter to Explore Technology
- SMART FUTURES : Why Science & Technology Should be Your Career
- Girls in Tech : Meet 12 yrs old Apps Developer Niamh Scanlon
- Technology Whizzkids : Tom McCarthy and the FUSOR
- Technology Whizzkids : Adam meets ChoreMonster at the Dublin Web Summit
Over to you! Let us know of any other great sites, or apps, or online tips you have found.