Each month we shine a spotlight on a different family-centred Irish charity as part of our Charity of the Year series. For November, we’re showcasing the great work of Barnardos Ireland. Read on to find out more.
What is Barnardos Ireland?
Barnardos Ireland is the Irish arm of one of the UK’s biggest and most well known children’s charities. The scope of its work is large and complex but its mission is simple:
“To deliver services and work with families, communities, and partners to transform the lives of vulnerable children who are affected by adverse childhood experiences.”
The organisation provides practical and professional support services for children, young people and families working in schools and communities. Barnardos is committed to a needs-led, outcomes focused approach in its delivery of services to children and families.
Barnardos works with children to help build their resilience by focusing on their social, emotional, physical and educational development. It also helps parents to strengthen their parenting skills, improve their relationships with their children and help them to meet their children’s needs.
What Are Barnardos’ Beliefs?
Barnardos has a core set of beliefs it uses as a guiding light for the charity and its work:
- Every child needs to be safe, have enough food and somewhere comfortable to call home
- Every child needs to have someone who looks after them and loves them no matter what
- Every child should have the opportunity to learn and have fun
- Every child needs to feel accepted for who they are and to be part of a circle of family, friends and community who will understand them and value their opinions
- Every child should get help when they need it
How to Access Support from Barnardos
Barnardos offers a range of different support services available from centres across the country, as well as hosting a wealth of online resources covering topics such as parenting advice, teen parents support, bereavement resources, anti-bulling resources, substance misuse information, how to protect children online and much more.
Visit the support services section of the Barnardos website to find out more.
How You Can Help to Support Barnardos
Barnardos works in the heart of local communities with over 17,000 children and families in Ireland every year. There are lots of ways that you can help the charity carry out its important work, including:
- taking part in fundraising events
- leaving a legacy in your will
- volunteering your time
- shopping at Barnardos’ many charity shops around Ireland
- or by shopping for bridal wear on the Barnardos online bridal shop.