Barnardos Ireland is the Irish arm of one of the UK’s biggest and most well known children’s charities. The scope of its work is large and complex but its mission is simple:
“To deliver services and work with families, communities, and partners to transform the lives of vulnerable children who are affected by adverse childhood experiences.”
The organisation provides practical and professional support services for children, young people and families working in schools and communities. Barnardos is committed to a needs-led, outcomes focused approach in its delivery of services to children and families.
Barnardos works with children to help build their resilience by focusing on their social, emotional, physical and educational development. It also helps parents to strengthen their parenting skills, improve their relationships with their children and help them to meet their children’s needs.
Barnardos has a core set of beliefs it uses as a guiding light for the charity and its work:
- Every child needs to be safe, have enough food and somewhere comfortable to call home
- Every child needs to have someone who looks after them and loves them no matter what
- Every child should have the opportunity to learn and have fun
- Every child needs to feel accepted for who they are and to be part of a circle of family, friends and community who will understand them and value their opinions
- Every child should get help when they need it