Having a baby? Elizabeth from Babydays Antenatal Classes has put together a list of things for the arrival of baby and tips on what to pack in a hospital bag for having baby:
If it’s your first baby it can be quite daunting preparing for the arrival of your baby, so one thing you can do is have your hospital bag ready so it’s one less thing to worry about.
Packing Your Hospital Bag
Ideally this should be packed and ready by 37 weeks. Leave it somewhere you can easily access it and avoid suitcases as they take up too much room when you’re in the hospital.
Essential Items For Mum
- 4 Nightdresses / Pyjamas
- 1 Dressing gown (Cotton)
- 1 pair of Slippers / Flipflops
- 3 Bath Towels + 1 Facecloth
- 3-4 Packets of maternity sanitary towels (Bigger & Good Soakage for first few days)
- 6 pairs of regular pants or 2 packets of disposable pants
- Breastpads (regardless of whether you plan to breastfeed or not)
- 2 good support or nursing bras
- Pen and Paper
- Ipod/mp3 player
- A copy of your birth plan if you have one
- Birthing Ball (Yoga/exercise Ball) if you go into hospital in early labour
- Tens Machine
- Mobile Phone Charger
- Some empty plastic bags for sending home dirty clothes/presents
- Comfy clothes to wear for going home
- Don’t forget any medication you are on
Consider Taking Another Bag
Consider a separate bag for the delivery room and use for essential items for the delivery and for baby. With a second one for items you’ll need after the birth.
This is much easier and you can have someone get your other bag from the car after baby has arrived.
Bring a note of your PPS/NI/SSN Number with you to hospital, you will need it for registering your baby’s birth before you leave the hospital.
Essential Items For Baby
- 1 Baby towel
- 6 Babygros & Vests
- 4 cotton sheets
- 4 small blankets
- Roll of Cotton wool / baby water wipes
- Barrier Cream
- 1 Babyhat
- 3 muslin cloths / terry cloth nappies
- Car seat and Baby clothes for going home
Best of luck!
Do you have any tips for first-time Mums for what to pack in a hospital bag? Share them with us in the comments below.