Are you looking for ideas for homemade Christmas decorations for kids ? These Salt Dough Decorations, make great Christmas crafts with children of all ages. They can also be given as little homemade gifts.
You can let the children help with making the dough, or just make the dough in advance and let them help with cutting out the shapes and decorating them. There are three stages to this project – making the dough, cutting out the shapes and baking them, and finally decorating them – so it’s a good project to spread over a couple of days.
Older children could make their own shapes by forming pieces of dough free-hand, and younger ones could simply use cookie cutters in Christmas shapes (stars, trees, snowflakes, snowmen, etc.). You can make either standing ornaments or decorations to hang on the tree.
- 2 parts flour
- 1 part salt
- 1 part water
- Acrylic paint
- Clear gloss varnish
- String or ribbon
(Note: Mixture based on 1 cup of flour makes about 20 decorations.)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to about 100 degrees C.
- Mix flour, salt and water together to form a dough
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until it’s springy (This may take a while. You can also use a food processor or a bread maker to make the dough.)
- Leave the dough to settle for about half an hour.
- Mould pieces of dough into the desired shape, or roll it out and use cookie cutters to cut out the decorations
- For hanging decorations, use a toothpick to make a whole near the top of the decorations. Make it as big as you need it, depending on whether you plan to hang the decorations on thread, string, ribbon, etc.
- Place the cut-out decorations onto an ungreased baking tray and place in the oven for three or four hours.
- When done, remove the shapes from the oven and allow them to cool completely before decorating.
- Paint the shapes. When the paint is dry, cover them with up to three coats of a clear gloss varnish.
- When everything is dry, thread the string or ribbon through the hole of each decoration, tie a knot, and it’s ready to hang on the tree!
Related : Lots more craft ideas for kids in Christmas Craft Ideas
Have you got other ideas for homemade Christmas decorations? Share them here in the comments!