It’s not just in hot, sunny countries abroad that you will find outdoor swimming pools! We have some here in Ireland and also some great sea-swimming spots as well:
- Bagnelstown Outdoor Heated Swimming Pool located on the approach road from Leighlinbridge to Bagenalstown and is open until the end of August.
- Clashganny Lock, south of Borris
Donegal – read our Donegal Beaches article
- A popular spot is Blackrock in Salthill which has a covered changing area, diving boards and steps down into the water.
- Silver Strand in Barna is a lovely beach but can get very busy during holiday times.
- Tracht Beach near Kinvara has a long black sandy beach.
- Kilkenny City, in the River Nore at Bishopsmeadows and at the Weir on Bleach Road, Kilkenny
- Graiguenamanagh, in the River Barrow
- Inistioge, in the River Nore. (The swimming area in Inistioge is tidal)All of these areas have lifeguards on duty from 2pm to 4.30pm and from 5pm to 7.30pm during the summer months and are safe for swimming.The Weir on Bleach Road, Kilkenny can be deep and we are advised that it is more suitable for strong swimmers.
- Ballinakill, near Abbeyleix, Co Laois. Outdoor Heated Swimming Pool with kiddies pool and 20 metre pool, change rooms and fully supervised.
- There is a popular swimming spot on the river Nore at Castletown Bridge
- Glin Pier, Glin Limerick. Life Guard will be on Glin Pier during July and August for 3 hours before and after high tide.
- Enniscrone & Rosses Point are the 2 Blue Flag Beaches in Sligo – they also have Summer Lifeguards (7 days July/August). But also check out Streedagh where there is a Summer Lifeguard too. Sligo has many many other beautiful beaches, and you may even find yourself the only ones on them! Mullaghmore is a very popular family beach too, but due to commonage at the back of the dunes, cattle can get onto the beach!
- Ballina Riverside Pool – situated beside the playground on the Birdhill/ Ballina Rd. Open from 2 – 6 pm daily. Lifeguards on duty.
Waterford – read our Waterford Beaches article
Westmeath – Lough Lene is a very popular outdoor swimming spot, between Collinstown and Fore.
Have you been to one of the outdoor swimming spots? Tell us about it in the comments below.