If you’ve been looking for valentine crafts for kids, this simple heart-shaped collage is very effective as a decoration for St. Valentine’s Day, and suitable for toddlers and children of all ages to make. Better still, it can be made entirely from recycled materials (except for the glue)!
What you’ll need:
- Used cereal box
- Scissors (safety scissors for little ones)
- Old magazines
- Glue stick or PVA glue & brush
- String or ribbon for hanging
- Cut a heart shape out of the cardboard box or craft paper (don’t worry if it’s not a perfect heart – they can often look better if slightly lop-sided)
- Go through the magazines and cut out any images that are red or pink. Cut small pieces – a mixture of shapes and sizes works great.
- Stick the pieces to the heart with either the glue stick or the PVA glue, covering the whole surface
- When dry (or another day), you could cover the reverse side of the heart with more pieces (good if you are going to hang it in a window)
- Make a hole at the top of the heart and thread the ribbon through
- Hang as a decoration for Valentine’s Day!
- As well as magazines, you could use catalogs, wrapping paper, birthday cards, tissue paper, etc.
- Instead of using scraps of paper, you could use sequins, feathers, beads, etc. or even a combination, so get creative and have fun!
Did you have a go at making this Valentine craft? Tell us how you got on with it in the comments below.