Recipes with eggs are an ideal way to start the day. It is a well publicized fact that eggs contain protein that leaves you feeling fuller for longer, beating other more traditional breakfast staples in the race to a more healthy lifestyle. So why not give them a try this New Year with our 11 of the Easiest and Most Delicious Breakfast Recipes with Eggs?
#1. Perfect Boiled Eggs
- Place your eggs in a saucepan, in a single layer and cover with cold water to an inch above them.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil
- Take off the heat and cover with a lid
- Take them out of the water anytime from 4 to 15 mintues, depending on how you like them.
Ok for me perfect boiled eggs have to be a little bit runny to accommodate the toast soldiers so I leave them in for 5 minutes! So if you like yours with a more well done yolk, leave them on for an extra 2 to 6 minutes or for a very runny yolk take them out after 4 minutes.
#2. Perfect Poached Eggs
Use really fresh eggs and add a small dash of vinegar to the water to create perfect poached eggs everytime.
- Bring the water to a gentle simmer. (add a dash of vinegar)
- Crack each egg into a small dish
- Create a whirlpool in the water with a wooden spoon
- Slowly tip your egg into the water
- Cook to your desired consistency
- Drain on kitchen paper
I like my poached eggs on brown toast. But you could serve them with spinach or asparagus and hollandaise sauce or eat them as they come out of the water!
#3. Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Beat 4 eggs with a quarter cup of milk and seasoning until blended.
- Heat a thick slice of butter in a large nonstick pan on a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted add the egg mixture.
- Leave for a minute until the begin to set then use a spatula to gently separate them.
- Cook to desired consistency and serve immediately.
Try them on the hot buttered muffin or add smoked salmon and snipped chives for a real breakfast treat.
#4. Perfect 3 Egg Omelette
Eggs must be room temperature before starting. Serves 1.
- Gently whip 3 seasoned, large eggs with a splash of milk.
- Add a slice of butter to a non stick pan and heat over a medium heat until the butter has melted.
- Pour the egg mixture onto the pan and spread out to a single layer
- Continue to cook until the eggs start to set, use your spatula to ensure spread out so they cook evenly
- Once set add grated cheese if using, and gently fold over.
- Leave on the heat until the cheese has melted then serve.
Works every time.
#5. Sunny Side Up Eggs
- Coat the bottom of a non stick pan with vegetable oil and heat.
- Gently crack your egg into the pan and cook until the white has set but the yolk remain runny.
- Serve on lightly buttered toast with a pinch of salt and pepper.
If you prefer your yolk to be more well done then gently run the egg over once the white has set and leave for 1 minute to help set the yolk.
Frittata is a great way to get lots of vegetables into kids. I chop up tomatoes, ham and onions (which they like) really finely, with some other vegetables like courgette and mushrooms that they don’t like that much, and toss them all together in the egg.
We like this recipe from The Pioneer Woman.
Or check out the Mini Frittatas recipe, #6 on our Easter Brunch Ideas post.
#7. Quick Microwave Scrambled Eggs
If you are in a rush this scrambled eggs recipe works everytime. It makes one serving
- Beat 2 seasoned eggs with 2 tablespoons of milk, a small knob of butter in a heatproof dish.
- Microwave on high for 50 seconds.
- Take out and stir
- Microwave for a further 35 to 40 seconds.
Recommended Reading: Christmas Brunch Ideas, Ideal any time of year!
#8. French Toast
French Toast or Eggy Bread as it is known in our house, is a real breakfast treat. I like to add maple syrup on top and keep the egg mixture simple but you could add vanilla, cinnamon, sugar or nutmeg to the eggs for extra richness.
I use sliced white bread but really any bread that can be sliced is suitable.
Method (makes 4 slices of French Toast)
- Mix 2 eggs with 4 fl oz milk in a shallow dish.
- Add your sliced bread, a slice at a time, and soak each piece
- Heat a large knob of butter in a non stick pan over a medium heat
- Once the butter has melted add your bread and cook on each side until golden brown
- Serve immediately drizzled with maple syrup
#9. Baked Omelette
Created using yoghurt and fresh vegetables this great baked egg omelette recipe is just as delicious for brunch or lunch too.
It cooks in the oven in just 20 minutes, leaving you time to get on with the morning rush, ensuring everyone gets to school and work on-time with a healthy packed lunch!
Watch: How to Separate Eggs
#10. Egg Strata with Bagel and Smoked Salmon
Best of all it can be prepared the night before and baked in the oven in the morning.
Image from BHG
#11. Scrambled Egg Baskets
- To create the baskets, cut the crusts off your favourite sliced bread, heat the oven to 200c and lightly butter both sides of the bread. Press each slice into a muffin tin and bake for approx 10 minutes.
- Cook your scrambled eggs and divide between your baskets.
- Grate over some cheese and place under the grill for 3 or 4 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Have you tried any of our Breakfast Recipes with Eggs or do you have a recipe of your own? Please let us know in the comments box below.