My aunt is coeliac, so when she visits I make this flourless, gluten free chocolate cake. I add cream and raspberries before rolling it up. And don’t worry if the top cracks as you roll, you can add a dusting of icing sugar and it won’t affect the taste!
- 175g chocolate (milk or dark)
- 5 large eggs separated
- 175g caster sugar
- Small carton of whipping cream
- Punnet of Raspberries (you could use strawberries, blueberries instead)
- Icing sugar for dusting.
- Heat the over to 180c.
- Grease and line and oblong baking tray with parchment paper
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a simmering pan of water, Ensure the bowl is not touching the water or the chocolate will go grainy. Once melted leave aside to cool.
- Add the egg yolks and sugar to the bowl and mix well, until pale in colour
- Fold the cooled chocolate into the mixture
- In a separate clean bowl, add the egg whites and whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold a quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until no egg whites area showing. Add the rest of the egg whites in and fold well.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and cook in the over for approx 25 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Once cooked remove from the tray and leaving the parchment paper on, leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, gently turn out onto another piece of parchment paper that has been dusted with icing sugar.
- Peel away the paper used during cooking
- Whip the cream and spread in a thin layer onto the cooled sponge.
- Add the raspberries in a random pattern, not too many as it will be difficult to roll.
- Fold the cake, using the new paper to help.
- Once folded lift onto a plate and serve.
Have you got a good gluten free recipe? Please share it with us in the comments box below.