Galway is beautiful in the sunshine, but we all know that Ireland gets a fair share of rain – having some entertaining weather-proof ideas is always a good plan! Here are 10 fun rainy day activities in Galway for families that may come in useful.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Galway city and county offer a whole host of family-friendly activities, from woodland walks and medieval history to world-class craft and design. And when it comes to rainy day activities in Galway, there is no shortage of ways to entertain the kids!
You May Also Enjoy Fun Things To Do in Galway with Kids
Try These Rainy Day Activities in Galway
See the Fish!
The first time you venture through the entrance to Galway Atlantaquaria, Ireland’s largest aquarium, we guarantee you’ll jump! That’s because their first exhibit is Ireland’s largest “Splash” tank!
You’ll also enjoy the ray pool, ocean tank, fin whale skeleton, touch pools and heaps of activities and fun things to do while you visit, including feeding the fish and touching starfish.
You May Also Enjoy Best Places to See Animals, Birds and Beasts in Ireland
Visit an Indoor Play Centre
Getting the kids to burn off some energy in a safe, supervised place is a great rainy day activity, and Galway has several options, including:
- Kardio Kids, at Tranquillity Leisure & Spa, Athenry
- Go Bananas, MG Business Park, Tuam
- Busy Bees Soft Play and Roller Disco, Oranmore
- Turoe Pet Farm and Indoor Adventure Centre, Loughrea
- Monkey Business, Knocknacarra
- Kidsplace, Briarhill
- The Planet Family Entertainment Centre at the Galway Shopping Centre
You May Also Enjoy 10 Galway Playgrounds the Kids Will Love to Explore
Take a trip to Glengowla Mines, which is Ireland’s first ‘show mine’, offering guided tours throughout the mines giving a sense of the conditions in the mines back in the 1800s.
Mining at Glengowla centred on silver and lead, though Connemara marble, gold, dolomite, quartz, and rare green and blue octahedral fluorite were also mined.
The centre does have activities for kids, as well as a traditional working farm and a museum displaying artefacts. The mine is also home to a seismograph which is part of Ireland’s National Seismic Network.
You May Also Enjoy 20 Fun Things to Do With Kids on the Wild Atlantic Way
Try to Escape
Older kids will really enjoy a trip to one of Galway’s escape rooms. Work as a family to see if you can solve the riddles and clues to make it out in time!
Some escape rooms in Galway to try include:
- Great Escape Rooms, Upper Abbeygate Street
- Asylroom, Dominick Street Lower
- Open the Door, Prospect Hill
You May Also Enjoy Fun Things to Do with Older Children in Galway
Galway has plenty of options if you fancy some rainy day shopping. High street stores can be found in the Galway Shopping Centre on Headford Road, Eyre Square Centre and Corbett Court Shopping Mall in Galway city centre.
In addition, there are plenty of luxury, independent and specialty shops and shopping districts in and around Galway. Some of the most notable include the aptly named Shop Street, the cobbled streets of the Latin Quarter, the market stalls trading in Church Lane by St Nicholas’ Church and, for something really different, the Ceardlan Spiddal Craft Village.
You May Also Enjoy Exploring Connemara: Spend a Day Out in Spiddal
Let those imaginations run wild with a trip to Toodlelou Creativity Lab in Oranmore. This creative hub runs classes and workshops for tots to teens, as well as weekly open sessions for parents and kids to visit, experiment and try their hand at something fun.
Make a Splash
When the rain has you cooped up indoors, head for a splash to the 20m indoor pool and kids pool at Active Fitness at The Connacht Hotel, Galway.
Other swimming pools in Galway include:
- Kilcornan Swimming Pool, Clarenbridge
- Leisureland swimming pool, which has 25m pool, kiddie pool, pirate boat, and 65m water slide
- The Kingfisher Club at NUIG
Visit a Museum
Galway is steeped in history, with lots of museums and heritage centres to visit, including:
- The Galway City Museum houses three floors of exhibits and information panels, relating the story of Galway from medieval times to the modern day, and entry is free. The ground floor tells the story of contemporary Galway, the first floor brings medieval Galway to life in a very contemporary way, while the second floor houses an exhibition on the Claddagh village, from post famine times to the early part of the last century.
- The Zoology and Marine Biology Museum in NUIG where you’ll see all kinds of weird and wonderful creatures (weekdays only)
- Athenry Heritage Centre, which is set against the picturesque backdrop of the 13th century medieval church ruins. Medieval weaponry demonstrations take place in the centre, along with other demonstrations which are fun and educational for all the family.
- Claddagh Arts Centre and authentic thatched Katie’s Cottage
You May Also Enjoy 9 Super Fun Things for Families To Do in Oranmore Galway
Visit your local library and find out what classes and events they run throughout the year. Your local library branch is a wonderful, free, resource for families.
All libraries host very popular, annual summer reading programmes while many of the branches run or host parent and toddler groups, storytelling sessions, arts and crafts classes, book clubs, games and activities sessions, exhibitions and so on.
Not to mention the fact that there is free computer access and the option to borrow books, music and DVDs! For a change of scenery, why not visit a different branch?
You May Also Enjoy Free Family Things To Do in Galway with Kids
Alternatively, put on the rain gear and wellies and go for a walk. Most kids love splashing in puddles, and sometimes it’s a great way to release pent-up energy from being cooped up inside. There are lots of great family walks in Galway that would fit the bill, rain or shine.
Warm up afterwards with a warm bath, dry clothes and a hot chocolate. Then, why not pull out a board game or snuggle up on the couch with a movie – the perfect end to a wet day!
You May Also Enjoy Best Outdoor Spots For Families in Galway
Do you have any other suggestions for fun rainy day activities in Galway? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!