Get ready for some fun in the sun! Whether that’s strutting your stuff along the beach, building sandcastles with the kids, or just topping up your tan in the back garden, we’ve got all the info you need on how to choose the perfect swimwear and more holiday essentials for all the family. We teamed up with Marks & Spencer, who have perfected the art of swimwear for all body shapes and sizes, to help you get ready for summer!
#1. Body Beautiful
Every body is a beach body, and it’s all about feeling comfortable in what you wear. This is why we love the swimwear range from M&S – because it makes you feel fabulous!
Have you ever gone swimwear shopping and found that you love the top but hate the matching bottoms? Or maybe you would rather a different size in the top and bottom for maximum comfort? Confidence comes from feeling fantastic, and this is precisely why we love mix-and-match options.
If you prefer high-waisted bottoms with a plunging top – done. A tankini top with tie-side hipster briefs – no problem! When you can bring your personality to your swimwear, you’ll feel chic and relaxed while you catch some rays.
Plus-size beauties can also take heart that you won’t be relegated to a few black and basic one-piece options. The same range is available in sizes 8-24, so you can take your pick from hipsters, high legs and halters to suit your mood!
If you’re unsure where to start when choosing your summer swimwear, here are a few pointers that might help you find the perfect fit.
• If you want to highlight your legs, go for a higher cut on your bikini bottoms or one piece.
• For those with a larger bust, you’ll find underwired cup sizes A-G to make sure you’re fully supported.
• High waisted bikinis or one pieces with Secret Slimming are great for smoothing lines for those with a curvier shape.
• If your summer plans include plenty of active fun in the sun, opting for a full cup will give you some added comfort and plenty of support.
• If you are more pear shaped, draw the eye upwards with a plunging neckline, or mix-and-match solid colour bottoms with a patterned top.
• Bandeau-style swimwear is stunning on slender body shapes, while tie-sided briefs give some extra detail at the hips. Try patterns and prints, rather than block colours, and experiment with padding and plunge tops to see which you prefer.
You May Also Enjoy – Parents Recommend the Best Sandy Beaches in Ireland & Take a Trip to the Seaside! 20 of the Best Beaches in the UK
#2. Strut Your Stuff
Swimwear is most likely your key purchase for your summer wardrobe, but some simple accessories will not only enhance your summer look but can transform your stroll to the beach or pool into your own summer catwalk!
• A sarong tied at the waist or in a halter around your neck acts as a lightweight skirt or dress to keep you cool on sunny days.
• Try a longline, lightweight shirt as a cover up that you can leave open or close just one or two buttons – perfect for the beach and can also double up for casual dining.
• Add shades to keep squinting at bay as you people watch or keep an eye on the kids in the water.
• Ditch your old backpack and pack everything needed for the beach or pool, from books and sun cream to snacks and water, in a funky beach bag that compliments your look.
• Get some extra sun protection with a wide brimmed summer hat to keep the sun off your head and face.
You May Also Enjoy Expert Advice: Take 10 Minutes a Day to be Your Best Self
#3. Best Foot Forward
When looking for the perfect holiday footwear consider items that work well for a range of outfits and keep your feet cool.
- Sandals, mules or flip flops are perfect for traversing hot sand or tiles around the pool
- Wedge sandals are comfortable to wear and give you added height. They are perfect for both day and night wear so useful when it comes to packing
- Ankle Strap or Gladiator sandals with a heel look amazing with playsuits and floaty summer dresses and are a great way to introduce colour while keeping your feet cool.
Whatever footwear you choose, make sure it is comfortable as well as stylish. And do wear any new shoes around the house before you pack them for holidays!
You May Also Enjoy – A to Z: How to Look Polished and Groomed (Even when you’re Not!)
#4. Cool Kids
Keeping little ones sun-safe and swim-ready can be a holiday battle of epic proportions, but with unicorns, flamingos, dinosaurs, sharks and lots more to choose from, there is no doubt that your little ones will LOVE the fun kids range of swimwear.
But, just as important, you can relax knowing that the Sun Smart protection, endorsed by the British Skin foundation, will give UPF50+ protection. Add shoes, sunglasses and hats and your kids will be all ready for a day at the beach!
We were so excited to see the introduction of a funky new sustainable swimwear range this year, as well as the brilliant easy dressing range with softer, easier and more accessible and clothing in sizes up to 16 years.
You May Also Enjoy 50 Interesting Things to Do at the Beach with Kids
#5. Don’t Forget Dad!
Whether your man prefers crisp cotton, luxury linen, simple t-shirts or a pop of tropical colour, you can pick up whatever he needs in the holiday shop for men.
Even the pickiest of shoppers will find colours and styles to suit, and that means no more tatty shorts that have long since seen their best days!
You May Also Enjoy – Fun Family Events By The Water This Summer
#6. Tanning – Safety First
After the winter months, we’re all in need of a little vitamin D. Even on overcast days, the sun’s rays can penetrate through the ozone layer, so making sure your family is safe in the sun is vital.
You can get a head start on your sun-kissed skin with a subtle tanning moisturiser for a few weeks before you bare all, but always be sure to tan safely by topping up your sunscreen throughout the day. This is particularly important when you are in and out of the water or playing in the sand.
You May Also Enjoy – SPF, UVA, UVB – Do You Know What to Look for in a Sunscreen?
#7. Make It Last
When you’ve found your perfect swimwear, you’ll want it to keep it’s fresh and fabulous look for as long as possible.
We love the StayNEW Chlorine Resist in M&S swimwear, because you know that all the fun you’re having in the sun won’t damage your suit.
You can also give your swimwear a quick rinse and lay flat to dry after every wear to help prevent chlorine, sun, sweat, salt and sun cream from making it look anything less than brand new.
Over to you now. Have you any tips on how to choose the perfect swimwear to share with us? Please add them in the comments box below.