Are you ready for Science Week 2018? Science Week takes place in Ireland from November 11th to 18th 2018. With 12 regional science festivals from one day events to family activities, school visits and workshops to adult talks Science Week 2018 is shaping up to be the best ever! We have picked out our top 8 Extraordinary Free Science Week Events Not To Be Missed this year.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
#1. Reptile Zoo, Offaly
On November 11th at Banagher Library, Co Offaly you can get up close and personal with animals that you would usually only see on TV when the Reptile Zoo pays a visit. This event is free but must be pre-booked.
#2. I’m a Scientist, Get Me Out of Here!
This online event is open to all schools across Ireland from November 5th to 16th. The class interacts with scientists online to ask STEM related questions. They then vote for their favourite scientist and could be in with a chance to win €500 for their school! This event is free but you must pre-book.
#3. Marine Dimensions Workshops, Longford
Join qualified marine biologists for a workshop on Ireland’s seas and oceans at Ballymahon Library, Longford on November 13th. Learn more about conservation and get to handle live sea creatures in the touch pool. This is a free event but must be pre-booked.
#4. Mary Ward’s Amazing World of Wonder, Westmeath
On November 14th & 15th, Moate Library in Westmeath celebrate Mary Ward’s Amazing World of Wonder with workshops suitable for secondary school children.
Children will be taken back to the 19th Century, while combining new and old technology to celebrate the natural heritage of the bog and the historical and scientific heritage of Mary Ward. This is a free workshop but must be pre-booked.
You May Also Enjoy – Simple Science Experiments for the Kids to Try at Home
#5. Galway Science & Technology Festival
As part of science week 2018, there will be a number of events taking place in Galway including an amazing day of workshops & interactive displays at NUI Galway on November 25th. This is a free event. Tickets can be pre-booked for workshops and demonstrations in advance and there will be a limited number available on the day. Entry to the main exhibition hall is free and no pre-booking is required.
#6. The Science of Golf, Offaly
Whether young or old, good or not so good, if you play golf and have an interest in playing better, this is the workshop for you! Taking place at Esker Hills Golf Club on November 13th, The Science of Golf is a free workshop with Dr Ian Kenny of University of Limerick.
Dr Kenny is involved with a research group at the university focussed on golf performance. Come along and pick up some tips on the physics of the game to hopefully improve your performance on the course! This is a free event but you must pre-book.
You May Also Enjoy – 3 Key Ways Parents Can Help Their Child Consider a Career in STEM
#7. Dargan 150, Carlow
As part of the Eureka Science & Technology Festival, Dargan 150 takes place at IT Carlow on November 18th. It is a family day focused on STEM activities for all ages. This is a free event and full details will be available on the website.
#8. A Bionic Biography, Sligo
Join Seònaid Ò’Murchadha, founder of Amputee Disability Federation Ireland, at Hume Hall, IT Sligo on November 14th for a presentation on her work in the field of bionics and the realism of being an end user in the advance bionic technologies.
This presentation is free and is open to the general public, guidance counsellors, senior and third level students. No pre-booking required.
Regional Science Week 2018 Festivals
There will be 12 regional Science Week 2018 Festivals taking place around the country in:
- Cavan & Monaghan Science Festival
- Cork Science Festival
- Eureka Science & Technology Festival, Carlow
- Festival of Farming & Food Teagasc, Galway
- Galway Science & Technology Festival
- Limerick Festival of Science
- Mayo Science & Technology Festival
- Midlands Science Festival
- Southeast Science Festival
- Science Week Dublin
- Tipperary Festival of Science
- Sligo Science Festival
- WexSci Wexford Science Festival
Click on the relevant link to see events taking place throughout Science Week 2018 many of which are free and open to the public.
3 Dublin Science Week 2018 Highlights for Families and Adults
- Tuesday 13th November 7pm to 10pm – Dubland The Live Podcast with Irish comedian PJ Gallagher and broadcaster Suzanne Kane at the Laughter Lounge, Eden Quay, Dublin. Join them for an evening of science chat with a Dubland Twist. Pre booking advised.
- Thursday 15th November 7pm to 9pm – GULP! is a 2 man live show taking place at The Sugar Club, Dublin 2 featuring Jonathan McCrea and Ivan Varian. They will showcase some of the most unusual food on the planet and you can find out if you are a taster ora supertaster! Pre booking advised.
- Saturday November 17th 11am to 6.30pm – Dublin Science Week Family Open Day at the convention centre Dublin. A fun filled family day out with scientific workshops and shows suitable for all ages. There will be 2 sessions one starting at 11am and the 2nd at 2.30pm. Pre booking advised.
Over to you now. Are you planning on taking part in Science Week 2018? Please let us know in the comments box below.